MS Edge Will Not Quit or Close?

Reaction score
Twice now, MS Edge{?} has opened and will not quit or close for me. This happened once before last long update a few days ago and now again this morning.

Both times I had to restart PX to get Edge to close/quit. Seems to be a problem to me.

rybo

Reaction score
MS "Edge" will not close or quit. Twice I had to restart PC to get Edge to quit/close. Once before the recent long update and once after the update. Anyone know anything about why Edge will not quit/close?

rybo

Reaction score
I would stay clear of installing any 3rd party apps to shutdown Edge. Go to settings Update and security, click on check updates to make sure you have the most recent updates. Personally I don't like or use Edge, it has too many growing pains and users are dumping it everyday in favor of more stable browsers.

Reaction score
I would stay clear of installing any 3rd party apps to shutdown Edge. Go to settings Update and security, click on check updates to make sure you have the most recent updates. Personally I don't like or use Edge, it has too many growing pains and users are dumping it everyday in favor of more stable browsers.

As I stated in initial post, this problem occurs before and after very recent{ 5 days ago } and very long MS update. I just went to local C properties and did disk check, it said and finnished repairs, yet Edge still will not close.

I may reinstitute CCleaner. Maybe it caused the problem sometime in past, as I'm using older version. I dunno.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK as I haven't personally had this problem and can't seem to reproduce it on any of my Windows 10 computers running Edge, but.....
Both times I had to restart PX to get Edge to close/quit.
Shouldn't be necessary.
You should be able to launch Task Manager either by right clicking the taskbar or by using the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination and using the processes tab, be able to find all instances of "Edge" and right click them and choose "End Task"

Not a solution but less cumbersome than restarting your computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Didn't realize that you had posted, basically the same question twice.
I merged them to save confusion.

Reaction score
Did you happen to clean the registry when you ran, that can and does cause problems. Ccleaner is a good program, why are you running an outdated cleaner?
Have you tried the Ctrl+W shortcut to close Edge.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/microsoft-edge.12601/#post-60970

To upgrade CCleaner would cost me $20.. I have norton for all other stuff that Cleaner does except registry. So I ran cleaner and if found about 50 things, Fixed all issues and now Edge closes/quits as it should. However, I never use Edge so, I tried typing the word Love into the search bar and could not type in anthing or get Edge to respond other than to quit/close.

I dont really care because, I dont use Edge. I did try it when first got computer with W10 and it worked.

I just tried ctrl + W and it did nothing. But dont need it now that Edge quits/closes when I click its red X

Task manager is also a faster option, that I didnt think of and dont that options now need now. Thx

Ask a Question