SOLVED Com Ports

Reaction score
I can't find com ports in device manager but need to select com1 for some new software.

Reaction score
Hi,

what type/how new is your computer?, com ports haven't been added to computers in years!. What is the software you are wanting to use?. :) The only main ports on a computer today are nearly always USB sockets and SD card readers!. You might be lucky to find an HDMI or VGA port on a laptop. :)

Reaction score
About the SD card port, most will be SDHC [High Capacity] ports for the 4GB and larger cards. Might also find a DisplayPort on some Notebooks, my latest has one in addition to the HDMI but no VGA, haven't seen one with a DVI port yet most likely because Notebooks have become thinner and lighter, no room for DVI and Optical Disc Drives.

Reaction score
My OLD machine, vintage 2009, has no com ports although the mobo does have a header to connect for COM1 if one had the mounting thing for the rear.

Reaction score
Com Ports can be set up for specific devices. Below is my printer and some of its options. When you select the properties for the device, make sure and use the one in the middle of the menu and not the "properties" at the bottom..

ComPorts.JPG

Reaction score
Hi,

what type/how new is your computer?, com ports haven't been added to computers in years!. What is the software you are wanting to use?. :) The only main ports on a computer today are nearly always USB sockets and SD card readers!. You might be lucky to find an HDMI or VGA port on a laptop. :)
Thanks for your reply Wolfie. The PC is a fairly modern HP lap top. I need to get the clock to be accurate within + or - 2 seconds for which I use Meinburg.

However, I have acquired an old PC with Windows XP (I know that's no loner supported) on which I can set the Com Ports easily.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
About the SD card port, most will be SDHC [High Capacity] ports for the 4GB and larger cards. Might also find a DisplayPort on some Notebooks, my latest has one in addition to the HDMI but no VGA, haven't seen one with a DVI port yet most likely because Notebooks have become thinner and lighter, no room for DVI and Optical Disc Drives.
Hi Bighorn - thanks for your comments. Please see my reply to Wolfie.

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got something sorted, if the thread is solved, please mark it as such so it helps others!. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass - see my reply to Wolfie.
I set up com ports for a scanner I have. Also, GPS type units need the same thing. It is an easy process to add a port using the dialog I attached..

But if it is working on an old system and you are happy.. glad you got it working.

Ask a Question