SOLVED Increasing number of Com Ports used

MrP

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to install a generic text printer onto a windows 10 tablet but when the printer is paired through Bluetooth the Com port it is using is way beyond the normal Com port numbers.
After the printer is paired I would normally add a local/networked printer and select the same port as the Bluetooth device, when this is in the range 1-4 that is fine, but (due to repeated attempts) it is now up at Com19
I have looked online and found articles for Windows7 talking about uninstalling the un-used Com ports (that windows thinks are being used) but I'm not sure how to reach the same areas in Windows 10
I have so far tried the following:
1. turning it off and on again ;)
2. using device manager, view ports, under the view menu setting 'Show hidden devices' but I can only see the two latest ports (19/20)
3. I have looked at the properties of port 19 and tried to change the port number, but this is where it says all ports from 1-18 are in use.
4. I have tried to follow win7 instructions that directed my to advanced system properties and the environmental variables/system variables - this section I can't find in windows 10 (anyone know where it is)

The only other option seems to be hacking the registry, which I will now look at, but I hoped someone here might have a better answer.

Thanks in advance

Mr P

MrP

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, looks like they made a fix in a release in Early Sept but it didn't work and reduce performance. I guess I have to keep waiting.

Ask a Question