Ports (COM and LTE) not showing in Device Manager in windows 10

Reaction score
Hello,
I have upgraded my OS to Windows 10 from 7 and I can not see the PORTS(COM and LTE) in the device manager. I tried everything but don't know how to find it. Does anybody know how to fix it.
Untitled.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems you have an "Unknown device" in device manager.
That could be anything from a chipset driver, to a USB and or Serial Device driver needing attention.
Have you checked Sony's support site for your Vaio to see if they have any driver updates for it, paying particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Storage controllers, USB, Network, Video, Audio, etc.?

Reaction score
I did all of that but it's not working. I checked on another 2 PC's which has Windows 10 and there also I can not find the PORTS(COM and LTE) in the device manager. Is it the Windows 10 problem ??? and what can I do to get PORTS(COM and LTE) in windows 10 as I need this for my programming work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't have any such thing either in device manager.
That's because my motherboard doesn't have any integrated COM (serial) ports nor any integrated LPT (which I assume is what you mean.... parallel) ports.

Reaction score
yes but when I had windows 7 on my laptop the PORTS(COM and LTE) in my device manager. Actually this is much needed for my hterm interface. I have to mention COMPORT number to this interface. As soon as I upgraded my Windows 7 to 10 it disappears??? Any possible reason???

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking you can enable or disable integrated serial and or lpt ports in the system setup utility for your motherboard (BIOS), you should probably check there first and then make sure that you clear up device manager and resolve the problem with the device that is showing above as likely missing a driver. That could be a serial port (com / communication). But it is certainly not likely to be both com and lpt and I do not know what an LTE port is.

Reaction score
Hello Ravi, follow these steps:
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  2. Select menu "Action" -> "Add legacy hardware", then Click "Next"
  3. Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" -> then click "Next"
  4. Scroll down, then select "Ports (COM & LPT)", then click "Next"
  5. Select "Manufacturer" as your need, (in this case, I'm selecting standard type or default option) then click "Next"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• com.png
    com.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 15,772
Reaction score
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  3. Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" -> then click "Next"
  5. Select "Manufacturer" as your need, (in this case, I'm selecting standard type or default option) then click "Next"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.

this really helps, deserve 10000000 likes

Reaction score
My Device Manager doesn't show much under the Action menu until I first click on an item on the panel, probably the computer name, then I get more choices.

Reaction score
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.

I did this (had to click on View for it to show as were in Hidden) but my printer still refuses to work for me.
Tried plugging in the cable instead of the wireless but still no luck.
Brand new laptop - the printer worked initially then since it needed to install some updates it just fights with me.

All I need is for the printer (also brand new) to print for me!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.

In my version of windows 10, which is the latest build (FCU) with all other MS updates, it's under the "VIEW" tab and then select hidden devices. Click hidden devices and there you go, they show up.

Reaction score
In my version of windows 10, which is the latest build (FCU) with all other MS updates, it's under the "VIEW" tab and then select hidden devices. Click hidden devices and there you go, they show up.
I've done that, and followed all the rest of your walkthrough - restarted laptop - still no luck on getting the printer to work.

Any other tips greatly appreciated, I am not a techy that can do anything adventurous and daren't do stuff that could risk making the whole laptop go titsup.
As I said before, when I first got the new printer, installed it via the disc, all worked fine.
Then since laptop has done some updates it doesn't want to know. Aaarrrggg!!!!

Thanks!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I've done that, and followed all the rest of your walkthrough - restarted laptop - still no luck on getting the printer to work.

Any other tips greatly appreciated, I am not a techy that can do anything adventurous and daren't do stuff that could risk making the whole laptop go titsup.
As I said before, when I first got the new printer, installed it via the disc, all worked fine.
Then since laptop has done some updates it doesn't want to know. Aaarrrggg!!!!

Thanks!
Well, this is different then your OP (original post) which you asked how to get the ports to show up. No where in any of the posts I read say anything about a printer not working. I only guessed that's what you were wanting help on as those ports are generally associated with printers.

That said, this is what I would do. First, we need the make/model of your laptop because we have to address the unknown device driver that is missing. As Trouble stated, that is usually the chipset driver. We get that fixed then we can fix your printer issue.

To do that, we need the make/model of your printer. Then we can go from there.

Reaction score
An example of a missing driver on some Notebooks such as one I have is the Express Card slot in one edge of the case. It's probably a successor to the older PCMCIA Card of earlier Notebooks. Have not yet found a suitable Win10 driver, gave up on it as I don't need it, just Disable it in Device Manager.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
An example of a missing driver on some Notebooks such as one I have is the Express Card slot in one edge of the case. It's probably a successor to the older PCMCIA Card of earlier Notebooks. Have not yet found a suitable Win10 driver, gave up on it as I don't need it, just Disable it in Device Manager.
I wouldn't with out knowing what it is I'm disabling....but that's just me.

Reaction score
Well, this is different then your OP (original post) which you asked how to get the ports to show up. No where in any of the posts I read say anything about a printer not working. I only guessed that's what you were wanting help on as those ports are generally associated with printers.

That said, this is what I would do. First, we need the make/model of your laptop because we have to address the unknown device driver that is missing. As Trouble stated, that is usually the chipset driver. We get that fixed then we can fix your printer issue.

To do that, we need the make/model of your printer. Then we can go from there.

I did originally say I wanted my printer to work for me.
To start from the beginning, my new printer is wireless, as is my laptop.
My laptop is this: ASUS VivoBook Max X541SA Laptop, Intel Pentium N3710 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6" LED, DVDRW, Intel HD, WIFI, Webcam, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Home 64bit
Printer did work at first, then since laptop did automatic updates, it now doesn't.
On searching online for the error message, it said to go to ports in device manager. That wasn't visible and so that is how I ended up here!
Your advice has at least enabled the ports to be visible.
Should I start a new post elsewhere?

Reaction score
I did originally say I wanted my printer to work for me.
To start from the beginning, my new printer is wireless, as is my laptop.
My laptop is this: ASUS VivoBook Max X541SA Laptop, Intel Pentium N3710 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6" LED, DVDRW, Intel HD, WIFI, Webcam, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Home 64bit
Printer did work at first, then since laptop did automatic updates, it now doesn't.
On searching online for the error message, it said to go to ports in device manager. That wasn't visible and so that is how I ended up here!
Your advice has at least enabled the ports to be visible.
Should I start a new post elsewhere?
I didn't see any mention of a print problem but the image in your first post does not show a printer as having been installed. I've installed a number of HP printers that use USB and their install routine seemed to be the best way to get the USB port set up as they need. The LPT1/PRN port is usually a 25-pin socket on the computer.

Reaction score
I wouldn't with out knowing what it is I'm disabling....but that's just me.
On that one it was the only thing not working so I had to assume it was the Express Card so I just disabled it, haven't seen any issues since. The Notebook/motherboard maker didn't have any Win10 driver for it nor did Intel. To cap it off, I haven't seen Express Cards advertised in some time.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You need to reread all your posts......no where do you say you need help for a printer. Also, according to your laptop make/model....it came with windows 10. You say it had windows 7 on it. Did someone do this for you? Or the make/model is wrong.

Edit: Sorry, I see that I'm replying to 2 different posters. I was referring to the very first post, which is not you. So that's cleared up.

Ask a Question