Ports (COM and LTE) not showing in Device Manager in windows 10

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I did originally say I wanted my printer to work for me.
To start from the beginning, my new printer is wireless, as is my laptop.
My laptop is this: ASUS VivoBook Max X541SA Laptop, Intel Pentium N3710 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6" LED, DVDRW, Intel HD, WIFI, Webcam, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Home 64bit
Printer did work at first, then since laptop did automatic updates, it now doesn't.
On searching online for the error message, it said to go to ports in device manager. That wasn't visible and so that is how I ended up here!
Your advice has at least enabled the ports to be visible.
Should I start a new post elsewhere?

I would do this.....uninstall any printer that is listed, then unplug the usb cable...either from the PC or printer. Then download the latest version of the driver/software package for your printer. With HP printers there is a certain sequence you have to follow for hooking up/connecting and powering up printer. You have to follow those instructions exactly. Once the uninstall is complete, reboot....then with the fresh copy of of your driver software package.....install and follow onscreen prompts.

Reaction score
I also was replying to the first post by Ravi, clicked the wrong Reply button.

Reaction score
Go here and download the chipset driver and install it. https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Max-X541SA/HelpDesk_Download/

Where's the printer info?
I've gone to that link, entered the model of my laptop and downloaded the chipset like you suggested.
The file was this
Chipset_Intel_Skylate_Win10_64_VER101113
I installed newer versions of drivers for anything that was already in my laptop.
Printer still coming up as error - this is driving me bananas! How can this be so hard?!
Please tell me I'm not the only one to have this problem?!

Reaction score
I've gone to that link, entered the model of my laptop and downloaded the chipset like you suggested.
The file was this
Chipset_Intel_Skylate_Win10_64_VER101113
I installed newer versions of drivers for anything that was already in my laptop.
Printer still coming up as error - this is driving me bananas! How can this be so hard?!
Please tell me I'm not the only one to have this problem?!
I've now uninstalled everything to do with the HP printer, will let you know when have reinstalled it..

Reaction score
Finally winning!
Printer reinstalled, new drivers in.
Seemed last time I did updates, Windows10 decided to take control and decide how printing was to be done. Hubby had a go, found that, reset default printer and twiddled with some other things (he's used to old fashioned ways with stuff and Bios, all over my head tbh!)
But at least it now all works.
Thank you all so much for putting up with me - you're all legends!

Reaction score
Gentlemen I did this workaround on my Dell laptop and it worked but on my desktop 8500 when I hit action I didn’t get a drop down menu to install legacy hardware. Is there a way to do this another way? My old PC was the free upgrade to Windows 10 btw

Reaction score
an error is occurred showing that the parameter is incorrect while adding the COM8 port
Hi Pavan,

please start your own thread as this one is very old!.

Also, you need to give us more information as to what your are exactly trying to attach to a com port, USB device, an old printer etc!. ;)

Reaction score
Hi Pavan,

please start your own thread as this one is very old!.

Also, you need to give us more information as to what your are exactly trying to attach to a com port, USB device, an old printer etc!. ;)
yeah I'm trying to attach the raspberry pi zero which is through usb it needs serial usb device to attach thats what com port is needed

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hello Ravi, follow these steps:
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  2. Select menu "Action" -> "Add legacy hardware", then Click "Next"
  3. Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" -> then click "Next"
  4. Scroll down, then select "Ports (COM & LPT)", then click "Next"
  5. Select "Manufacturer" as your need, (in this case, I'm selecting standard type or default option) then click "Next"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.
Thank you very much!!! it works!

Reaction score
I too have the same problem. I am not able to find com port in device manager. I was done the same procedure mentioned above. It is showing an error symbol on the com port—screenshot attached for reference. The drivers also update still showing error symbol on the com port.
screenshot_device manager.png

Reaction score
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  3. Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" -> then click "Next"
  5. Select "Manufacturer" as your need, (in this case, I'm selecting standard type or default option) then click "Next"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.
Sir in my case here is just one( com 1)ports when I conect another device I cant see another port???big big problem sir.

Reaction score
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.
The only option I have under 'action' is 'help'

Reaction score
  1. Open "Device Manager"
  6. Finish!

I hope this helps.
The only option I have under 'action' is 'help'

Ask a Question