Computer does not wake up from sleeping

Reaction score
Since I upgraded to Windows 10, when my computer sleeps, it does not wake up. It does not respond to any of the keys and no response from the power button either. I have to remove the battery to get it restarted. If I barely move away from the computer, by the time I get back, same thing happens. Absolutely Frustrating!!!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi dperch, welcome to the forums.

Could you load up device manager (Windows Key + X > Device Manager shortcut) and check your Keyboard, Mouse and Touchpad properties please. You'll want to make sure that the "allow this device to wake the computer" box is checked on the "power management" tab.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Checked devices as suggested, all checked as 'allow this device to wake computer'.
This problem has started since windows 10 upgrade.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What is your PC/Laptop model/specs?

When you try to wake the computer, after a few seconds are you able to toggle the CAPS or NUMLOCK lights on the keyboard? The reason I ask this is that if the keyboard responds, it be that the PC has woken up after all and the problem is with the display adapter not responding properly.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm having this problem too. I have a Dell Inspiron 7537 with a Samsung 1TB SSD (two partitions - OS and storage) running Windows 10 - first I did the upgrade from 8.1, then, once everything was up and running and tested for a few days I did a clean install of Windows 10 using the media creation tool. All previous partitions were decimated (deliberately).

I don't believe I experienced this problem following the initial upgrade from 8.1, but I can say with certainty it is plaguing me now.

A user (Buzzy bee - I think) on another forum claimed the solution was to disable hibernate and only use sleep, but after completely changing all of my power plan settings to completely eliminate one or the other, battery vs. plugged in, I still have this problem.

My power button is currently set to hibernate (previously sleep), display turn off after 120 minutes, never sleep (previously never hibernate), never shut off the HDD.

What's happening is that I press the power button, and (sometimes) when I am gone only briefly I can "wake" the computer with the power button. Most of the time I have to long press for a forced shutdown and then press again for a reboot. This is soooooo frustrating and likely not good for the operating system.

When the laptop is in this "frozen" or crashed state, pressing on any keys does nothing, and no lights give any indication of HDD activity.

Any suggestions?

The only one thing I did differently this time around (clean install) was to take some HD graphics drivers from the Intel site, as well as I am running NVIDEA Geoforce. I did read on one forum a suggestion that a graphics driver might be the problem, but there was no useful suggestions for troubleshooting and no confirmation of this being the cause of the problem.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
What is your PC/Laptop model/specs?

When you try to wake the computer, after a few seconds are you able to toggle the CAPS or NUMLOCK lights on the keyboard? The reason I ask this is that if the keyboard responds, it be that the PC has woken up after all and the problem is with the display adapter not responding properly.

Reaction score
Hello Ian, I tried your last suggestion. After a few seconds..maybe even a minute the computer would wake up if I toggle the any button. You said it might be the display adapter, what should i do now?

Reaction score
Hello Ian, I tried your last suggestion. After a few seconds..maybe even a minute the computer would wake up if I toggle the any button. You said it might be the display adapter, what should i do now?

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Will not wake up. Tried power off. Tried hard shut down - just pulling the power plug. Tried jiggling the mouse. Tried the space bar on the keyboard. Changed the batteries in the mouse. Changed the batteries in the wireless keyboard. I have a HP "all in one". Best Buy Greek Squad wants $200+ to even look at it. Data Doctors want a fortune also. Computer came with Windows 8 which I did not really like. Now Windows 10 is even worse.

Ask a Question