Computer will Shut down but restarts on its own.

Reaction score
Didn't have this problem until upgrading from Windows 7 Pro. Not sure if it is related to the upgrade. I can shut down but sometimes will immediately restart and other times will restart after some time. I have used device manager to disable any hardware option to wake my computer. No yellow exclamation icons in device manager. Otherwise computer runs fine. Any help? I hate to have to unplug my computer everytime I shut down. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
First of all it sounds a bit like perhaps, your machine isn't really shutting down completely.
You should probably test that first and be sure.

From an elevated command prompt (right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
type
shutdown -s -t 00
hit enter
That should shut down your computer completely.
See if it auto recovers from that state.

If not then you need to inspect your power settings / advance power settings options in control panel and make sure those settings for the power switch are set correctly.

powerbuton.JPG

Additionally perhaps take a look under "Sleep" and see if you have "Allow wake timers" enabled?
Try disabling that and see if that stops the problem.

Lastly in Control Panel, Power Options, on the left side of that screen where it says "Choose what the power buttons do"
Double check and confirm that those are set correctly.
AND
Then near the bottom of that page if you see a reference to Fast, Quick, or Rapid (Boot), not sure of the wording exactly......
Some people have had to use the link at the top "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and uncheck that box to get their machines to behave correctly.
Personally, I would save that for my last (final) attempt at resolving the issue.

Reaction score
I tried everything but the last suggestion. I like the way windows 10 boots up quickly. Are those my only options? Is Microsoft looking into this and working on a fix?

Ask a Question