Computer freezes twice while starting up from complete shutdown

LRK

Reaction score
After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (ASUS M370 motherboard and AMD Athlon64 processor) the computer always hangs up twice when I reboot after a complete shutdown. The first attempt gets only as far as the Windows logo and the spinning dots and then freezes. I have to use the power button to do a hard shutdown. Second try gets a little further--the dots spin longer, but after about 15 seconds, freezes again. On the third attempt, everything goes smoothly and startup is successful. Have tried messing with a couple of BIOS settings (e.g. not starting ASUS Expressgate) without any difference.

Any thoughts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options
Left column "Choose what the power buttons do"
Uncheck the box next to "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"
See if that makes any difference

FastStartUp.jpg

LRK

Reaction score
Tried this; this time, it froze at the BIOS screen, but then on second try (after hard shutdown) booted smoothly. So your idea reduced the hard re-starts from three to two. That's an improvement. I'd still like to nail down what else is going on.

Ask a Question