Computer Shutting Down When Playing Games?

Reaction score
Hi There, The computer has Windows 10 on it and my daughter likes to play The Sims 4, Minecraft And Roblox and whenever she goes on these games or any other downloaded games they shut down the whole computer after 5-10 minutes of her playing them. But games on the browser work. When I first upgraded to Windows 10, it was shutting down and it still is to this day (28/09/16). So a whole year after and I still can't figure out why. I think that it has something to do with Windows messing up the Graphics Card, but I'm not sure. Your Help is much appreciated, Thank You. And It is not over heating I have checked many times.

Reaction score
You could run Task manager on the side while she is playing the games and see if the memory usage slowly but surely rises over the 5-10 minutes.. Might be worth checking the event logs as well. And always, checking for updates to the games and perhaps to your graphics card driver.

Reaction score
The computer shutting down can be a sign of a couple issues. The first and most common is overheating (most likely CPU). The second and less common is a bad power supply. Most of the other issues, like bad driver installs, or even a bad video card, would lead to lockups, black screens, etc. Usually not a shutdown. Most times when a PC shuts down, it's trying to save itself from damage.

I'd download a utility like HWMonitor and monitor CPU temps. Let the PC idle for a short time and record the temps on the "Max" column. Then fire up Sims and play for a couple minutes, then before it shuts down, click the "alt" and "tab" keys simultaneously (this should minimize the game) and record the temps on the Max column. Post them along with exactly what CPU and graphics card you have.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Click SETUP ENGLISH, then install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Graphics cards can use a lot of power which certainly gives a good chnace of the power supply shutting down from overload on one of its busses.

Ask a Question