SOLVED Computer without a floppy disk drive that indicates floppy disk drive error :-(

Reaction score
Hello all

I have Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop computer with Windows 10 (build 1809) up to date!

The computer works very well and does not have a floppy disk, never have and will never have because no port is provided on the motherboard for this!

Yet in the "Device Manager", a driver error for the floppy drive appears (normal there is no ...) and the floppy disk icon appears in the workstation!

I easily managed to delete the icon in the workstation from the registry, but I can not find how to disable this "floppy drive" in the device list !!

Of course there is no option in the BIOS of the machine because (as I said before) no drive is provided on the motherboard.

Does anyone have the trick to "erase" this device in the Windows 10 "Device Manager"?

Thanks for your help
A +
Jean Claude

Reaction score
I've had to enter the BIOS Setup on a few computers and disable the choices for the floppy drive so when Windows reads the BIOS it doesn't see it being available. The progression of technology has had motherboard makers start leaving off the 32-pin floppy port on the board and should have changed the BIOS to eliminate that choice, boards of the last few years are that way and OEM cases have been leaving out the slot/port on the front for the floppy drives.

Reaction score
Do you have any devices which are using Drive letters of A or B?

Could it be some type of external device, I do have an external floppy drive I could use? Could some software be creating a virtual device?

You could check the HardwareID but that may be incorrect since the PnP is picking up the device as a Floppy or the wrong driver is being used for it.

Reaction score
Does not correcting the BIOS on a computer with this issue create a problem (even a potential problem)?
It shouldn't. Windows [and other OS/Operating Systems] reads the BIOS during startup to know what resources it has to work with. The main issue with a BIOS is when the CMOS battery dies, loses the custom/user settings such as date and time and types of drives attached and other things. One just has to be careful to record any custom settings that are made so they can be remembered and done again. Most times a BIOS will recognize drive information and the boot sequence may or may not revert to how the BIOS was originally written, the default. There's not many creators of BIOSes and motherboard manufacturers buy what they want and have them written according to what they need support for and the devices available on the board.

Ask a Question