Upgraded Without Authorization Froze My Computer and Cost Me $80!

Reaction score
A warning.
I just spent two days, hours of time on the phone to Microsoft, time and fuel, and $80 in repair fees that Microsoft should pay back but refuses.

Two days ago I turned off my Toshiba laptop and when I rebooted a couple of hours later, it said it was configuring Windows, an automatic update. When it reached 100% it froze and hung there for nearly an hour. I finally shut it down and rebooted. It froze again for a long time, so I rebooted in safe mode. It said the update failed and it was reverting the files back but it stayed in that mode for almost another hour. I called my computer tech and he said to shut it down immediately so as not to risk losing my entire profile, which would result in needing full data recovery at a high cost. I brought the laptop to him, and he discovered that 10 was not only downloaded to my computer but that Windows then, without my authorization proceeded to try to install the new operating system. I never agreed to it, I hands down do not want Windows 10. And what my tech also found was there is some glitch between 7 and 10 and fortunately the upgrade failed. He said it is definitely a Windows error. An error that cost me money I should not have had to spend, and could not afford to spend right now for that matter, not to mention the cell phone hours, fuel and driving time as I mentioned. I called Microsoft and was on the phone for almost another hour, which resulted in a song and dance on their part telling me there was no way I could recoup my money. So friends, Microsoft can force your computer to try to download their upgrade, freeze your system, and then you pay for it if you want the use of your computer back. After today, I am not a fan of Microsoft. Bill Gates you have billions. My family is struggling. You should make this right!

Reaction score
A warning.
I just spent two days, hours of time on the phone to Microsoft, time and fuel, and $80 in repair fees that Microsoft should pay back but refuses.

Two days ago I turned off my Toshiba laptop and when I rebooted a couple of hours later, it said it was configuring Windows, an automatic update. When it reached 100% it froze and hung there for nearly an hour. I finally shut it down and rebooted. It froze again for a long time, so I rebooted in safe mode. It said the update failed and it was reverting the files back but it stayed in that mode for almost another hour. I called my computer tech and he said to shut it down immediately so as not to risk losing my entire profile, which would result in needing full data recovery at a high cost. I brought the laptop to him, and he discovered that 10 was not only downloaded to my computer but that Windows then, without my authorization proceeded to try to install the new operating system. I never agreed to it, I hands down do not want Windows 10. And what my tech also found was there is some glitch between 7 and 10 and fortunately the upgrade failed. He said it is definitely a Windows error. An error that cost me money I should not have had to spend, and could not afford to spend right now for that matter, not to mention the cell phone hours, fuel and driving time as I mentioned. I called Microsoft and was on the phone for almost another hour, which resulted in a song and dance on their part telling me there was no way I could recoup my money. So friends, Microsoft can force your computer to try to download their upgrade, freeze your system, and then you pay for it if you want the use of your computer back. After today, I am not a fan of Microsoft. Bill Gates you have billions. My family is struggling. You should make this right!
I know what your talking about.
My husband is very sick..
I only get 733.00 a month.
So I guess I'm screwed.

Ask a Question