SOLVED Connected to the Internet but Web Pages will not load

Reaction score
My friend's computer will not load web pages:
1. Google and Yahoo searches do work but
2. Clicking on a search result produces a something like "This page cannot be displayed".
3. The problem goes away in Safe Mode.
4. I have run the following commands in batch mode:
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int reset resetlog.txt
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
5. Other devices have no problem with the router.
6. I have scanned the computer with Malwarebytes, Windows Defender and Avast.
The solution is probably simple but it is simply beyond me.
Any help would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A particular browser or all browser?
Since it works in safe mode but not in a regular boot that would suggest some third party software, process, services and or driver may be causing the problem.
I'd first remove.... as in completely uninstall, any and all third party security suites, including running their vendor specific, proprietary removal tool (Google it).
AND
Then I'd try clean booting your system as described here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Ask a Question