Constant Unneeded Surprises with Win 10 -- the Latest

Reaction score
Every time I turn around MS Win 10 people are dicking with something. They just absolutely have zero ability to leave stability alone -- they MUST mess around. Of course they never ever tell you what is being done or why (if they know, which seems doubtful.)

The latest example is every icon on my desktop suddenly has a tiny green checkmark inside a circle overlaying the icon or shortcut. Now I am sure that I should feel so safe and that things have massively improved last night. I don't. Instead I feel like we are being screwed one more time for something none of us asked for and no one needs.

Anyone know what the little checkmarks mean?

Reaction score
You need to examine your onedrive settings. Meanwhile click in to onedrive and stop it. The icons ticks should be gone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I go to OneDrive in my start list menu and click on it. Nothing happens. It will not respond to any input. I never did ever agree to onedrive services and never will. Have no way to find OneDrive settings. So the tiny green-circled white checkmarks on all my Desktop icons have to do with OneDrive?

Reaction score
If you have not disabled it, it is on by default. The green circles mean that that info is in onedrive
I do not use it - disabled on first installation. I use an external ssd for storage which is only connected when needed

Reaction score
If you have not disabled it, it is on by default. The green circles mean that that info is in onedrive
I do not use it - disabled on first installation. I use an external ssd for storage which is only connected when needed
Well me too, I never use cloud or 3rd party storage for anything. I contacted MS Support which gave me a thorough description of how to save anything I had on OneDrive and how to unlink from it -- none of which worked because I never could FIND it on the PC! Just not there. VERY oddly, while communicating with them and trying to find the OneDrive app on the PC, the entire phenomenon disappeared. Gone. The tiny green circles with white checkmarks in them that had been on every single shortcut or icon on my desktop are no longer there. I can only conclude there are way too many people dicking with the Win 10 Op Sys. Thanks for your reading my complaints.

Reaction score
To follow up on this wildness: The tiny white rimmed green circles with a white check mark in them on EVERY icon on my desktop disappeared. The MS Support people claimed not only that they did nothing but that theyt could not for some concocted privacy reason. OK, so it is gone. Bygones be bygones. THEN here we go again. This time the tiny circles on every icon were white background rather than green and had the red slash mark across the white which usually means STOP or that something has been prohibited or wiped out. I got screen shots of that just to prove I had not gone nuts. The same xact thing happened another day with what looked like gray hornets nests or maybe megaphones (?) in the tiny circles. I got a screenshot of that too. I asked the MS Support people if all these were OneDrive indictors of some sort and they have not replied in 8 days. Regardless, all 3 kinds of intruders on top of every icon on the desktop disappeared and I have not see them for several days now.

Berserk of course. Any insight or ideas appreciated.

Reaction score
Are you certain you have really uninstalled onedrive?

Settings - Apps - apps and features. Scroll down to Microsoft onedrive (if it is there!?)
Click the bar on the right and select uninstall.

You can also, as an extra precaution, look for the folder with search, and delete it.

Reaction score
I searched for OneDrive, I tried to Uninstall it and I hunted all over the PC. It was not there anywhere and therefore could not be uninstalled. Were all those uninvited little tiny circles -- all 3 types -- related to OneDrive?

Reaction score
The only place I've found so far where OneDrive is listed as uninstallable is on CCleaner.
1642436326749.png

Ask a Question