Constant High-Pitch, Alert-like Sound Playing From PC Even When Sound Devices Are Muted And Disabled.

Reaction score
Hi,
For the past several months, I've been experiencing my PC randomly emitting this high-pitch, alert-like sound from my monitor's speakers even after I mute and disable all sound devices. It would only stop when I shut down my PC. At first, it would only happen once or twice a week. But now it occurs several times a day and I don't know what to do anymore.

If anyone is wondering, I made sure that there were not any background programs running in Task Manager during these sporadic episodes. Since this has only started happening as of a few months ago, perhaps this is some sort of glitch caused by a Windows Update?

Here is a Google Drive link to a video I took of the computer making these sounds:

OS Specs:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 20H2
OS Build: 19042.1348
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Is anyone else having this issue? Any insight into this befuddling situation would greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well that's certainly annoying.
Sounds like an audio file being played on a loop.
As to what might be triggering it, I haven't a clue.
Is anyone else having this issue?
Nope and I can't say that I've heard any mention of anything similar
now it occurs several times a day
Next time it happens, right click the speaker icon in the sys-tray and choose "Open volume mixer" see if there is anything there that isn't muted.
Additionally, I might suggest using device manager to disable all audio devices to see if that helps zero in on the culprit.
Re-enable them one at a time. The speakers depending on how they connect to the computer, may be able to accept input from a number of sources and might failover to an alternative source if one becomes unavailable.

I would probably try booting the system into Safe Mode and give it a try just to see if that has any impact on the problem.
sound from my monitor's speakers even after I mute and disable all sound devices.
Do you have access to alternate speakers or a headset so you can unplug the monitor speakers (assuming a discrete speaker jack and not via HDMI audio). That might help determine if there is something wrong with the audio / speaker circuitry inside the monitor.

As I mentioned at the beginning, the sound itself doesn't sound like a bad driver or wire, chip, circuit type problem.
In those instances, I would expect something resembling static, crackle or even a default windows connect / disconnect type sound.
Yours sounds more like something pre-recorded as you might find in a game or other software product.

Reaction score
My bet is that this is some kind of malware. That's not any kind of Windows or motherboard alarm sound and it does sound to be in a loop. I'd run a couple of good antimalware scanners over your system.

Reaction score
FINALLY! ALMOST nobody has mentioned or said a thing about this anywhere. I had this same exact sound playing but it was not from my speakers, it sounded like it was coming from the motherboard itself.

I’ve ran tests on my cpu and I think it’s getting too hot. My idle temps are 54C, so I’m going to clean out the system, apply new thermal paste, and put the cooler back on. Really hoping to get idle temps back in the 30’s.

Ask a Question