Skype AND Discord are constantly restarting themselves

Reaction score
I've tried solving it at the app level (clean reinstall, install different version, googling the problem for both apps and trying various suggestions, etc) to no avail so far. At this point I really have to assume that if two apps are having the same exact problem it's probably a general windows issue, although i haven't found any other program displaying similar behavior so far.

The symptoms and key info:
Both apps, at seemingly random but generally short intervals, "restart themselves" completely in the middle of a call, typing, etc. It appears as if one of the child processes crashes and gets reloaded automatically. Upon restart, discord tries to rejoin the voice call (if there was one) or restore typed text (if there was one). Skype does no such courtesy - it just puts me back on the main welcome screen, any typed text is lost.

1612758781103.png

The frequency of restarts seems generally proportional to level of activity. I.e. discord will generally run in the background for a long time without crashing, but should i start typing a message to someone - i can usually expect a "restart" within an average of 10 seconds. But even that's a very raw average - it can be as short as 2 seconds or as long as 20 seconds of uninterrupted typing before something happens. Skype appears to be on a roughly similar pattern of behavior.

No messages show up in the event viewer during the "restarts". However, Discord does create a dmp file in "%AppData%\discord\Crashpad\reports\" for every restart. I can open them in windbg but i have no idea what to do with them. I can get to what appears to be the call stack of the faulty thread at the time of crash, but since i'm not a discord developer it doesn't really tell me what to do from there.

Some basic data:
Winver: 64-Bit 20H2 19042.746
Discord: Stable 76069 (602c8e4)

Other useful info:
The only clue i got so far is that the programs seem to work fine in safe mode (with networking).
Any attempt to replicate safe mode conditions in "normal mode" so far led to nothing. I tried disabling ALL autoruns, all services, even microsoft ones (except for the ones i don't have rights to disable). Then I started disabling drivers one after the other, I disabled all the non-microsoft drivers (excluding the Intel drivers for SATA, NVMe, and the onboard Ethernet adapter) - no change in behavior. Then I began going after microsoft drivers as well, painstakingly restarting my system after every change to make sure it still loads. There's like hundreds of them and disabling many of them causes the system to stop loading. After disabling roughly a half of them and not seeing any change in the behavior of discord or skype, i gave up.

How on earth do I go about debugging something like this?
Thank you.

Reaction score
A place to start

Ask a Question