Control Panel: Computer selection causes (Not Responding)

Reaction score
Steps to the problem.

step 1. start menu -> type control panel
step 2. click Devices and Printers
step 3. when I click on the icon that represents my laptop (Dell Inspiron 13 5368)

Problem displayed in image

The message: (Not Responding) is displayed in the title bar for about 2-3 minutes.
It will eventually go away but there something going on underneath that is causing a slight delaying in reading information related to the selection of the icon.
This problem only occurs when selecting the PC icon.

Noting is recorded in the event viewer when this happens.
Nothing is recorded in the system reliability history table.

1632760496121.png

As seen in image the device manager reports all devices functioning as normal.

1632760556480.png

Reaction score
More information... This is the pop-up that I receive when the responding message times out.
I wonder if the changes MS is slowing making on the Control Panel is cause of this problem.
When this hang occurs I noticed that in the Task Manager, the usage spikes to Very High and references File Explorer.

1632794785909.png

Reaction score
I gave in and did the in-place upgrade this morning. That actually cured the Windows Explorer hang when I touched the icon that displayed my PC in the Device and Printers applet. Strange why that happened and having to do the IPUG to cure the problem. I guess if all fails Microsoft gave us at least on solution that appears to work every time its tried.

Ask a Question