Control Panel INOP after 1703

Reaction score
HP g-7, 8gb memory, W10 Home 64 bit Version 1703 Build 15063.413

After the 1703 update, I can bring up the control panel but all the features are INOP.
Even the minimize button is inop. It acts like a stuck screen and then "blinks" back to the desk top when you try to select a feature.

I did run a check of system files with no errors.
I did restore from a back up and re-installed 1703.
No help.
ANY ideas.

On another note, after the update, disk usage went to 100% and stayed there.
I turned indexing of on C: and that has returned to normal.

Ad

Advertisements

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Delta624826,

Welcome to the Forum.

Does your computer have IDT Audio/Sound installed on it? Or did it once have this?

I ask as there was a known issue with some older versions where its Control Panel file could cause symptoms like you are describing. The file IDTCN64.CPL located at C:\WINDOWS\System32 directory was the issue, and you could either delete that file, or if you preferred, uninstall IDT Audio/Sound and seek a newer version.

If your computer does not have this, then it would be worth checking your Event Viewer [ right-click on Start and select Event Viewer ] where you can check your events to see what module, file etcetera is giving problems at the moment your Control Panel, hangs or disappears completely on you.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question