SOLVED Cortana crashes after Nov update

Reaction score
I did the update last night. When I got on my pc this morning cortana will either not open at all or open for a very brief second before closing. I'm having the same issue with edge. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

Reaction score
Hello. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a problem which has been discussed previously. This will bump you to the top of the list where it will be more visible.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea.
Except to suggest that you create another user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user), log off as you and log on as the new user, to......
Determine if the problem is unique to your user profile, in which case one might assume profile corruption, or if....
It's a global issue impacting all user profiles.

Reaction score
I haven't tried that yet. I'll log on to my wife's account and see if it works. I'm preparing for a system restore just in case. Cortana is the irritating issue. I can work without edge lol.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Keep us posted and if you manage to beat up on it and resolve it to your satisfaction, be sure to let us know how you did it.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
Trouble you are 100% correct. I logged into my wife's account and everything worked perfectly. I'm going to create a dummy account and delete/redo my account. I never would have thought of that solution nor did I see it anywhere else. Thank you very much :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are hundreds (probably way more) post around the various forums, with people having some type of issue with their user profile, often following a Windows Update, and the profile that seems to be impacted is generally the one that was active (logged on) at the time of the update. Nothing definitive, strictly anecdotal accounts scattered around here and there, but....
The remedy seems to often be..... create a new user account.
Giant pain in the rear if you ask me, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
Same procedure in recovering a corrupt profile as it was in 7. You need a third admin account as you cannot use either the one being copied from nor the one being copied to during the process.

Ask a Question