Create a homegroup in win10

Reaction score
I upgraded (free) two computers to Win10 primarily so I could view the hard drives from either computer. When one was Win7 and the other was win8.1 I tried to set up a homegroup for different operating systems with no luck.

When I go to Control Panel/Homegroup (win10) there is no option to create a homegroup. The only options are: Change advanced share settings... ; Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter; and Join now.

None of these leads to creating a HomeGroup.

Anyone know how to create a HomeGroup?

Thanks,
Denny

Reaction score
I only setup Home Group once along ago when I had Win 8.1 and Win 7.
My problem then was Win 8 saw Win 7, but Win 7 was oblivious of Win 8.
I asked around and I was told that was normal. I had to have computers with same operating system in order to have home group working correctly. I don't know if that was true or not. I simple undid the home group setup.
Since then, I have not tried again.

If you open the File Explorer, isn't there Home Group listed under navigation pane ( left side ) ?
Should be.
That was where I started setting up home group.

Reaction score
David,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately Explorer leads to one of the options in control panel/homegroup - Join now. When I try to join it first asks what you want to share. The next screen asks for a password. Therein lies the problem. First, I don't know the password. Second, the computer says I don't have a HomeGroup - so why is it asking me to join something that isn't established?

I've searched the web but everything I find concerning HomeGroups is directed to win7 and win8/8.1, and none of that is the same for win10.

Anyone - any other suggestions?

Thanks, Denny

Reaction score
hmm - I had no problem with a mix mash of win 7 and win 8 when it came to homegroups (2 win 7, win8, win8.1, win 8.1media centre) - 5 of my 6 computers have upgraded to win 10 now - most seem to work well - 1 had an issue - did not seem to remain in the homegroup after the update - but I used join and picked up the password from the other computer and all seems well. .. I am sure you have tried - but ALL SETTINGS - NETWORK & INTERENT - under RELATED SETTINGS -> HomeGroup - - normally it will say either Create (if no homegroup found on network, Join if one exists but your computer is not joined, or Leave if found and your computer is already joined ... can you navigate to this page and what do you see?

Are you computers part of a workgroup (the same workgroup) - a domain, etc ?

At the moment win10 is a mix mash of new style and grandfathered win 8 or older dialogs - I try to work with the new ones until it takes me to an older one

Ask a Question