Creating a shortcut for the Windows 10 Snipping Tool

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it possible to create a desktop shortcut for the Windows 10 Snipping Tool?

If so, how would I go about doing that?

Thank you.

Reaction score
I have the Snippy icon on my Taskbar in Win11 and can just drag it onto the Desktop, should work the same in Win10 [most things do].

Reaction score
I have to back up on what I said, Snippy wasn't on my Win10, it was the Snip & Sketch tool and doesn't pin to the Desktop. However, Snippy can be Pinned to Start and that can be dragged to the Desktop. The file for Snippy is %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe and that can be used for a new Shortcut on the Desktop. Right-click the Desktop, choose New, Shortcut and Copy and Paste the bold text in the dialog box.

Reaction score
Yes, you can create a desktop shortcut for the Windows 10 Snipping Tool by following these steps:

1. Right-click on an empty area of the desktop and select "New" and then "Shortcut".
  2. In the "Create Shortcut" dialog box, type the following in the "Type the location of the item" field:
%windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe

1. Click "Next" and then give your shortcut a name, such as "Snipping Tool".
  2. Click "Finish" to create the shortcut.
Your Snipping Tool shortcut will now be available on your desktop. You can also customize the icon for the shortcut by right-clicking on it, selecting "Properties", clicking on the "Shortcut" tab, and then clicking the "Change Icon" button.

Reaction score
I am not using Win10 anymore, but, in windows 11, all that is needed is to left click the tool in the start menu and drag it to the desktop.
No longer needed now, of course, because you can us the prtscr as the shortcut. (in 11)

Ask a Question