SOLVED Creating a sub folder in Windows 10 pictures

Reaction score
My picture folder was over flowing so I made a sub-folder to move pics of a similar subject too. Selected pics, right clicked, selected 'copy', went to new sub-folder and pressed control V. The window I've attached appeared, and not knowing what to do I chose 'skip', which resulted in the deletion of the sub-folder. Having retrieved it from the trash I selected 'do this for all current items', the only other option. Pics arrived in the sub-folder but when I pressed the close option on the Interrupted action window, a message appeared saying this would cancel all transfers, meaning, I presume, that my sub-folder would be empty again.
What is going on! And Microsoft, the creation of folders and sub-folders used to be straight forward, why have you made it complicated?
New folder.JPG

Attachments

• New folder.JPG
    New folder.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 171
Reaction score
Hi John,

try renaming the folder and then copy and pasting again, that might work?. :)

Reaction score
Could also try dragging them to the sub folder with a right click and hold of the mouse.
fwiw.
I have just tried every method of doing this. All worked!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or, if Dave's suggestion doesn't work, try moving (move to) the files instead of Copy & Paste! (make a back-up copy first). :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I ignored the warning that closing the 'interrupted action' window would cancel the file transfers, had too as I wanted to turn the computer off, and found today that the transferred files hadn't been deleted so now I know what to do. But I would like someone from Microsoft to explain this situation. Creating new folders and moving files from one folder to another was simple, so why have they introduced this change, which serves no purpose that I can see, it just confuses.

Reaction score
They haven't, imo. You have a glitch in your setup.
But, I trawled through my archives (I kept notes of faults of old) I found this stored:

Press Windows key + R and type regedit in the run.
Click OK and Yes on the User Account Control window.
Find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT value on the left pane and double-click on it.
Find the CLSID value below and double-click on it.
Now find the {679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}. If this value doesn‘t exist, Press Ctrl + F and type 5540cc05aab6 in the search box.
Check the status bar line. It should indicate the following patch of the value: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\CLSID\\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}.
Find Attributes value on the right pane and double-click on it. Set its value to a0100000.

Sub Note:
This is often a side-effects of removing the Quick access. folder. It modifies the registry value in the registry shell folder:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540CC05AAB6}\ShellFolder]

Change the "Attributes" key from a0600000 to a6000000 and reboot the computer, and you should have the drag and drop back again

Reaction score
I agree with Dave nothing has changed. I deal with a lot of pictures with my consulting business. When I'm moving large groups of Pics I usually change the view to Details, Check the box to check all, then if there are any I don't want to move I uncheck them then drag and drop to the new folder. I always select copy just in case of issue then delete from the old folder.
Your system has issues if the changes Dave suggested don't work. You should either do a Repair Install or try DISM tools to repair your windows.
copy and paste each of these tools into a Admin CMD window. Type cmd then select cmd.xxx right-click and select run as Administrator.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow
chkdsk C: /f

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply's Dave and Clint. I mentioned that I'd found a way to deal with the 'interrupted action' which is simply ignore it. The only reason I'd not flagged this problem as solved, which I'm about to, is because I wanted to know how it happened. Given that it can be just ignored I'd rather not carry out the solutions you provide, they are a bit complex for my non-tech mind, but I will do if the issue causes any problems in future. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question