SOLVED Creating Article and reply to Forum thread issues

Regedit32

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues when you attempt to create an Article in our Forum, or just typing a reply to a forum thread?

I've noticed its been very awkward to use, especially if you are changing font size, colour, or adding bullets.

At times pressing a single key on keyboard can delete your entire posting too, although pressing Ctrl + Z restores what was deleted.

Whatever is going on, it sure seems buggy at the moment. That, or I have an issue on my end that needs addressing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I haven't done one for a while so I don't having anything to contribute but it sounds like something that needs to be brought to Ian's attention.
Perhaps using the Direct Messaging feature of the forum.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry you're having problems @Regedit32. Is this in Chrome?

Last night there was almost an hour of downtime from our server provider (the most I've seen in years, so I'm chasing an explanation). I wonder if that had something to do with it, if it only started yesterday?

Would you be ok with clearing your browser cache to see if that fixes the problem, as I think whatever it is causing it is likely JS based. A CTRL+F5 refresh may also fix it, as long as you do that on a page with the WYSIWYG editor on it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sorry you're having problems @Regedit32. Is this in Chrome?

Last night there was almost an hour of downtime from our server provider (the most I've seen in years, so I'm chasing an explanation). I wonder if that had something to do with it, if it only started yesterday?

Would you be ok with clearing your browser cache to see if that fixes the problem, as I think whatever it is causing it is likely JS based. A CTRL+F5 refresh may also fix it, as long as you do that on a page with the WYSIWYG editor on it.

Hi Ian, its occuring when using Microsoft Edge browser.

I clear the cache each time, so that should eliminate any issues with old cached files interacting with real-time editing.

Regarding the Article, yes the issues I'm describing started yesterday when I began the process of drafting up the promised article.

These same issues occur occasionally when replying to a standard forum thread, although not to the same extent. In a standard thread reply things go awry occasionally after I've selected to indent and use an ordered or unordered list.

On my last edit of my article I noticed the cursor completely vanished, but if I clicked mouse cursor and then began typing, the typing worked fine, but the cursor in the Edit screen did not appear. That'd be the worst issue at the moment, but that has only occurred once since I started editing the article.

On a side note, I was online when our Forum site collapsed. At the time a new member sysadmin had literally just joined and posted a question in the Forum, that I was in the middle of responding to when the site went dead. In the past, when that has happened, if I returned to the forum, and then the thread itself, part or all of what I'd been typing would appear magically. That, on this occasion did not occur - probably because I had cleared my cache on the browser.

Reaction score
Not up tp writing an article at this moment, but I'll enter and try and write and replicate what you have experienced.

Later. Tried everything in my ken. I could not fault it in Edge or the Edge Beta.
And Later. Possible Keyboard problem??

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Update

I noticed in my latest session editing my article that it was performing well again. Perhaps it was on my end all along, or if it is a bug on the Forum end, the bug has cleared off.

What is worse is I noticed in the Draft section an incomplete article I started in 2017 for my PowerShell tutorials. o_O

After all the time I was away ill, I forgot about that article, so I'll need to gather my thoughts to work out how I intended to complete the article :rolleyes:

Ask a Question