SOLVED Install programs to drive without creating account

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to this so apologies if this is on the wrong thread. What I'd like to know is how to install a program to a hard drive that does not have an account, but has a windows installation on it. The end result I'm going after, for example, is when you open a prebuilt system for the first time and there's the setup process you go through to set up your own account and when that's finished you land on a desktop that usually has some software pre-installed. Like an antivirus trial or other proprietary setup.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Those systems are mass produced by cloning or imaging from a pre-made sysprep'd system that is some type of manufacturer's idea of a proper OOBE (Out Of Box Experience).

You might try googling sysprep or sysprep windows 10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
There are multiple free tools online for doing this, but I'd personally recommend using the tools Microsoft built.

To explain how precisely to do all this would be a rather lengthy endeavour.

As it happens I'm in the middle of drafting an Article on this very topic, but that article is likely to become a series of articles, because of the multiple variables in creating your own Custom image.

This Microsoft page gives you a few tips, and provides the links to the tools you'll need to download and install ( all tools are free ):

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dn916112(v=vs.94)

The Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD) is a extremely well designed GUI, and allows you to customise your Windows image, import customized configuration files, set up all your policy preferences, modify the Registry - pre install, and if you want you can also import non-native applications ( i.e. third party applications), as well as drivers, specific security updates for Windows.

As an example of the extent this tool can go to, you can set both Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge up with you own personal Home page and other settings, so that once Windows is installed, the browsers are ready to use immediately.

If there are apps, that come with a Windows installation, you don't actually want ( the two browsers just mentioned included ), you can remove them from the image, so they will not even install.

Another example of a great Policy feature; you can completely disable Windows Update Service, or set it to search for updates at any time interval you like. This is a great option, should be intending to install your customized image on multiple computers, and you don't want other users installing updates; but will handle those yourself. Likewise, you can disable Date & Time settings, meaning without Administrator access, these cannot be changed.

The list goes on as to how useful this tool is. Note though, you need to install additional tools to accompany ICD to get the full benefits from it.

Another note, is that Microsoft are ending future developments of this tool when Windows 10 1909 is released. You'll still be able to use the current tool to work on a 1909 version for customization, but there will not be any additional support for the tool.

The multiple other tools out there are perfectly fine as well, but note, the vast majority of them work off a project by MSMG, and his tool is Command line based; meaning no GUI to work with. If you are happy to use command line only, then search for MSMG toolkit.

One last note. If you're intending on packaging your Windows image with third party apps, then you'll likely need to grab App Packager from Microsoft. Information on this, and how to download it can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...px-package--makeappx-exe-?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Good luck with your project!

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention re Windows ICD tool.

The leg work is adjusting all the settings, and adding packaged third party apps, drivers etcetera.

Once you've done that, the tool is impressively fast at building your Custom image, and you get two choices here:
  1. Build and save image to a designated location, or
  2. Build and create a bootable USB pendrive ready to use to install on your computer or whatever computer you intend to install it on.
I also did a quick search on YouTube and found this:

It's not that good, but this guy has made a reasonable effort to show how you can use the ICD tool to create a custom image. He even shows how to change homepage in Edge ( which I mentioned earlier lol ).

I'm sure if you make the effort you'll find a better video on the topic, but if you view the one I provided, it'll maybe help you decide whether you want to use the tool, or would rather try something else instead.

Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention re Windows ICD tool.

The leg work is adjusting all the settings, and adding packaged third party apps, drivers etcetera.

Once you've done that, the tool is impressively fast at building your Custom image, and you get two choices here:
  1. Build and save image to a designated location, or
  2. Build and create a bootable USB pendrive ready to use to install on your computer or whatever computer you intend to install it on.
I also did a quick search on YouTube and found this:

It's not that good, but this guy has made a reasonable effort to show how you can use the ICD tool to create a custom image. He even shows how to change homepage in Edge ( which I mentioned earlier lol ).

I'm sure if you make the effort you'll find a better video on the topic, but if you view the one I provided, it'll maybe help you decide whether you want to use the tool, or would rather try something else instead.

Thanks a bunch!!

Ask a Question