SOLVED Critical Error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working.

S

Skyler

so ive been looking online for about 1 week now, been having this problem since the 12th of december on my laptop, ive tried all the steps, safe mode, delete antivirus, i do not have avast, no dropbox installed on my pc, system restore does not work, also tried the sfc /scannow in command prompt, nothing yet has worked.

Reaction score
My problem is similar but different. My other laptop will not start up other than to give me the message
"UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME-WINDOWS 10". Your comments would be appreciated.

Reaction score
My problem is similar but different. My other laptop will not start up other than to give me the message
"UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME-WINDOWS 10". Your comments would be appreciated.
Hello, welcome to the forum Jasper. You should start a new thread. Give some details about your laptop. We would love to help. This thread is marked SOLVED so will not get as much attention.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have had the same problem "Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in".
I have solved the problem, in an easy way.
1. Press the button on the error message, to log off.
2. When prompted for login, press the on/off button on the right bottom side, and select restart.
The computer finishes the update, and after the restart it all worked normal again.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum,
Try starting his computer in safe mode and see if the same problem persists.
Instead of logging in.... at the login screen use the power button (bottom near the left next to the ease of access icon), hold the shift key and select restart. Then you'll need to navigate the subsequent screen(s) to get to startup options and then select safe mode (I think option 4)
I believe the screen selection will be
Troubleshoot
Advanced options
Startup Settings
Restart
and then select the number next to safe mode
Good luck
Keep us posted.
Hello , I jumped in on your response , many thanks as have same problem , at end of the procedure message came up " you need new app to fix the problem" appreciate your thoughts on "new app" Thanks Cannie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you are talking about a message that was a product of having rebooted into Safe Mode.....
Don't worry too much about it. It is not uncommon for some things to not work properly in Safe Mode, and....
It's probably important to note, that simply rebooting into Safe Mode, and then after a minute or two, rebooting normally is not a permanent fix for this issue, it will likely reoccur, and....
It doesn't always work for everyone in every instance of this problem.
Did the overall procedure work for you? When you rebooted normally, did your Start Menu work again?

Reaction score
IF you are talking about a message that was a product of having rebooted into Safe Mode.....
Don't worry too much about it. It is not uncommon for some things to not work properly in Safe Mode, and....
It's probably important to note, that simply rebooting into Safe Mode, and then after a minute or two, rebooting normally is not a permanent fix for this issue, it will likely reoccur, and....
It doesn't always work for everyone in every instance of this problem.
Did the overall procedure work for you? When you rebooted normally, did your Start Menu work again?
Unfortunatly not , still the same .tried a second time and gives message you need app to solve this problem.
Many thanks for the help. Cannie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unfortunatly not , still the same
Sorry to hear that.
You may be stuck with a corrupt user profile.
You may have to create a new user, as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user), then....
Log off your account and log in as the new user and see if everything works.
IF so you will then need to recover the contents of your old profile into your new profile.

Reaction score
Several months ago Windows 10 was installed (upgrade from 8.1) and I have not experienced any problems until a few days ago when the critical error start menu not working occurred. The fix to boot to safe mode and then into normal mode did not work for me. Further research suggested uninstalling third part virus protection (I'm using a Norton product) and dropbox and reinstalling them. After uninstalling both items I now have the start menu back. I have reinstalled the third party virus protection but not dropbox (I can access from web browser) and I still have the start menu. Hopefully this has fixed it for the time being.

Reaction score
i have same problem critical error start menu arent working.tried all solutions given on this forum.any can tell exact solution please.

Reaction score
The only way to fix is to wipe the machine i believe. I wanted to share a small work around though.

Browse to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" and create a short cut to your desk top. this will allow to access your start menu programs etc...

Ask a Question