Critical Error - Start menu

Reaction score
After one of Microsoft's Windows 10 infamous updates on 10/17, I signed in with my pin and received the following error message: Critical Error. Your Start Menu Isn't Working. We'll Try To Fix It The Next Time You Sign In. Sign Out Now.
I've signed out, signed in 3 times, shut down, started up, and received the same error message.
On the task bar I can open email, Word, File Explorer, and Settings. Nothing else works, including Start. There are also Icons missing from the task bar that were there before.
The only way I can get to anything is keeping Internet Explorer up and not shutting down.

Reaction score
I have treid everything (all the posted ways) to fix this ""Critical Error - Start menu not workingand nothing works. In fact it almost wrecked my computer. (blue screen of death). What is microsoft doing about it. please fix this problen

Reaction score
If my suggestion above does not help, try this....................................

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....
PS C:\windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this.........

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Start Menu again.

Reaction score
If my suggestion above does not help, try this....................................

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....
PS C:\windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this.........

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Start Menu again.

Reaction score
I just copied and pasted this twice and the computer responded with Get-AppXPackage is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Reaction score
I just copied and pasted this twice and the computer responded with Get-AppXPackage is not recognized as an internal or external command.
You must have missed something on the instructions.
Let me run it on my computer and post you a screenshot afterwards.
Please standby...............

Reaction score
screenshot shows its running......................

powershell.jpg

screenshot shows it's finished...........................

powershell finish.jpg

Reaction score
Finished that and restarted computer. I did not get the Critical Error message when I click the start button but nothing opens. The little blue circle is active but nothing happens.

Reaction score
I restarted once and shut down twice. When I click on Start the little blue circle activates but nothing happens no matter how many times I try.

Reaction score
I am very sorry.
I have exhausted my knowledge in this subject.
Please wait a bit for someone else to come along.

Good luck.

Reaction score
It was worth the try. Thanks for your patience.

There are still 2 methods to try. Both methods involve creating a bootable Windows 10 DVD or USB.
Then use it to run a Repair install, or outright reinstalling Windows 10.

Do you want to do that ?

Ask a Question