Critical Error - Start menu

Reaction score
Reset says it lets me chose to keep or remove my files and then reinstalls Windows. I would assume I want to chose "keep my files". Does it then reinstall Windows 10 (hopefully)? What if anything might I lose? Will I have to reinstall all my programs?

The choice is yours.
Yes, in essence it will reinstall Windows 10.
You probably will have to reinstall those programs.

Reaction score
I did reset my computer and it has come back with Windows 10 installed. But things are not right. Now every program I try to reinstall comes back with error messages. To start with I had no IE. When I tried to install it I was told it can't in installed as it is part of Windows but it is not on my computer. Other programs get "access denied", error code 32767. iTunes first showed me it was installed correctly but when I tried to access it I got an error message saying "iTunes installed incorrectly - error 7 (Windows error 1114).
Also every time I try to use Control Panel a message box says :
"Security Warning
Name: Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2/4 - Control Panel.lnk
Publiisher: Unknown Publisher
Type: Shortcut
From: c:\Users\ottiliegirl\AppData\Local\Microsof\Windows...

The action choices are open or cancel.
I get the feeling that this not a complete reset. Something is off. I'm afraid to do anything. On the other hand the start menu functions correctly (for now)

Reaction score
I cannot help you with reinstalling issues except IE.
IE11 is hidden by Microsoft. You can get it out by ..........
clicking Start button > left side, click All apps > scroll down to alphabet W > click open Windows Accessories > Internet Explorer is there.
You can right click at it > click Pin to taskbar.

Set IE11 as your default browser ......
click Start button > left side, click Settings > click System > left side click Default apps > right side, at the bottom > click Set defaults by app > wait > left side, click Internet Explorer > right side, click Set this program as default > bottom right, click OK.

Reaction score
After one of Microsoft's Windows 10 infamous updates on 10/17, I signed in with my pin and received the following error message: Critical Error. Your Start Menu Isn't Working. We'll Try To Fix It The Next Time You Sign In. Sign Out Now.
I've signed out, signed in 3 times, shut down, started up, and received the same error message.
On the task bar I can open email, Word, File Explorer, and Settings. Nothing else works, including Start. There are also Icons missing from the task bar that were there before.
The only way I can get to anything is keeping Internet Explorer up and not shutting down.

I had the same problem man. I tried searching for a solutions for weeks! I finally found this video and guess what? My start menu works FINALLY. I thought I would share it to help out others with the same problem.
I hope this helps.

Ask a Question