Cut/Paste to Desktop.

Reaction score
I can copy a photo into "Paint" and do the rectangle selection to then Copy that portion to Desktop. When I do this the Paste option is greyed out. It won't work? I 'can' paste it into a document. If I then select what I just pasted into the doc to hopefully Paste to Desktop. It won't work that way either? I do not see this Paste issue from other things I want Pasted to Desktop? This is of course WIn10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can copy a photo into "Paint" and do the rectangle selection to then Copy that portion to Desktop. When I do this the Paste option is greyed out.
When you do this you create what we used to call a "Scrap" (.shs file extension Shell Scrap Object File).
Pasting such objects to the desktop is no longer supported and hasn't been since Vista.
Any 32 bit application that supports OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) will still allow you to paste the item from the clipboard into the application but not onto the desktop.
That functionality is no longer support and hasn't been since XP (I believe).
You can Google around and probably find some elaborate process by which you can copy some old .dll files and edit the registry to regain some of this functionality but I wouldn't suggest it.

Reaction score
Whisperer, I could 95% swear I had done these Pastes since I went to Win10. Just stopped working recently. To test, I just now copied in a photo into Paint and selected a portion of it to paste right back into the originating photo folder. Not Desktop. Did not work that way either. Greyed out 'Paste'. Boy, I sure think this is a recent phenomenon.

Hey, Thanks for the gratitude for the armed forces! I recall they day I came home and got spit at. Different times and situations I guess.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Enlisted in 68 and ETS'd in 71 Regular Army. Somehow I managed to avoid the spitters.

Ask a Question