Cut and paste in Edge browser

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How do I cut and paste from the new Edge Browser?
I copied and pasted the above sentence from your post (in Edge) the same way I have in practically every browser I can think of.
Select, right click, copy.
Went to the reply area and right clicked and pasted.
As I am typing this I can also cut the same way. In order to cut something from a browser, the contents must be in an editable state.

Reaction score
I guess my problem is that I am unable to highlight any text.
It does work as expected in Firefox and also in chrome?

Reaction score
Are you saying you cannot highlight text in Edge? If so you must have a glitch, I would have thought. I can copy and paste OK in Edge --- it is something I do all the time, with the aid of a Gadget called Clipboarder (multiple Boards, etc) and an online program / service called CopyCopy which copies all types of files automatically (if required) to a free Cloud account.

Reaction score
Why on earth are there so many complaints about copying and pasting in windows 10. Surely this was the most simple thing to do since always. Have been to command promt OK. Right clicking on URL OK. but pasting just will not work.
I do not want to use Edge, I do not want a gadget, It was just use right click for both copying and pasting. What on earth is going on?
So frustrating for something that was so simple

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem also. I can paste links but when I copy text from somewhere and try to paste it, the paste button does not even show for me to do so. It's as though I haven't copied anything. This just recently started after my husband accidentally downloaded some gaming apps, installed Weather Bug, and a few other search bars.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
I use Edge and just done the above
By right click
Then highlight it
Click Copy or Select All
Then I went here
Then right click
Paste
It has to be one of the search bars or Apps stopping it.
Ask him to uninstall or remove everything he accidentally installed
If there is one he wants then do one at a time testing afterwards that you can use copy and paste
Until the find the App causing you the trouble

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Try highlighting text then Control-C (copy) then Control-P (to paste). Edge has issues sometimes with the highlighting part sometimes with me.

Reaction score
Here it is December of 2017 and Edge is still an ongoing problem with copying a pasting. I can copy & paste in any Browser, such as Opera, Vivaldi, Firefox but trying to copy from the URL in Edge or paste to the URL is a no go. Maybe I'm in a timewarp and it's actually 1917 and therefore Edge doesn't even exist. Let's hear it for Edge ... rah rah rahhhhhh!!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Try the following to see whether it improves things:
  • Left-click on Start
  • Scroll down and left-click on Windows Administrative Tools to expand
  • Scroll down the expanded list and left-click on System Configuration
  • In the dialog that opens select the Tools tab
  • Scroll down and left-click on Command Prompt then click the Launch button
  • In the Command Prompt console type the following:
Code:
cmd /c"echo off|clip"

Press Enter key then type exit and press Enter key again

Try using mouse to copy & paste now​

Reaction score
Tell me why I didn't get back to you on this before now, Regedit. :) Your solution works well but the Edge Browser has a lot to be desired. I try and move the tabs around and they work ok. Then suddenly, they don't. Then suddenly, they just froze. Overall, this Browser is really pathetic from what I'm seeing. I don't use it but off and on have tried it only to find much grief.
Thank you again for getting back with the copy/paste solution!

Reaction score
Just for curiosity sake, how does one reverse the (cmd /c"echo off|clip) command. For some reason, maybe not related, I'm finding since I executed this command, I'm having to double click on things like Outlook or tabs in Chrome to get them to operate. Would this particular command cause anything like that?

Regedit32

Reaction score
how does one reverse the (cmd /c"echo off|clip) command. For some reason, maybe not related,

The command is just a simple statement to clear the Clipboard without the need to restart your computer [ which would also clear the clipboard ]. There is no reversal of the command; once executed, items in your clipboard are cleared out.

Reaction score
Thank you for the response Regedit. Bright eyes here with the IQ of 2 decided to look it up after I posted that and felt like I needed a stepladder to peer into the Refrigerator.
So clearing the Clipboard makes Edge work with regards to the copying & pasting. Interesting. As to the hesitating when I clicked on a Tab, the infamous reboot vaporized that problem. Once again, I appreciate your help. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
My issue is the copy from a web site of a pictures. I can paste into word and note ok. But tried to paste in a chat site and it no longer works. I know there is a setting to change [ happened before after a update]. Cant remember what it was. I'm using EDGE, Chrome never did work.

Reaction score
I have seen some places on the Internet where the right-click & Paste wouldn't work but Ctrl+V did.

EDIT: Sorry for the reply, didn't see the seemingly identical issue in Windows 10 Support section.

Reaction score
I am able to copy and paste pictures when in Microsoft Edge browser using my mouse (via right button). However, when I switch to InPrivate mode, this feature doesn't work anymore. In the past, this feature works fine in InPrivate mode as well. Is there any settings that I must reset to enable this feature in the InPrivate mode?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Bobby,

The right-click copy and paste works for me while using Edge's InPrivate window.

Have you tried to Repair or Reset you Edge Browser?
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • In the Windows Settings select Apps
  • Scroll down and left-click on Microsoft Edge then click Advanced options
  • Scroll down to Reset section where you can either Repair or Reset Edge

Reaction score
Tried both Repair and Reset. Both doesn't work. The funny thing is that on the normal Microsoft Edge browser, it works fine. I can copy pics from Google News (just to test) and paste it in a file folder, Powerpoint, Words, etc. However, once I switch to InPrivate mode, I can't copy and paste using the mouse right button or, for that matter, Ctrl C, V and Ctrl P.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm that is odd as it works fine for me, copying text or images while using InPrivate with Edge.

Try the following to see if that makes any difference:
  • Open Edge
  • Start a new InPrivate Window
  • In the Address bar type about:flags
  • Click the Reset all flags to default button located at top of window.
  • Close Edge then reopen and see if that makes any difference

Ask a Question