D DRIVE SPACE

Reaction score
Hello. I have a message that tells me that FACTORY IMAGE D is nearly full. When I open D it shows that ,
under the title OTHER is where most of the space is being used. When I click on this , it cannot display anything .
There is a warning from Compaq that there is a partition and not to delete it .
All the other sections such as music do you use some space , but tiny. Could it be that when I have previously done a factory reset , that old files are in there , or is it something else ? Any help appreciated. Thanks , Ray.

Reaction score
you can ignore that message. Factory Image is a partition need to restore your computer to the state when you bought it. that partition is always full as it is hardly ever needed, only when you do a factory reset.

Reaction score
If the partition is a OEM Recovery partition, it should not have that drive letter. You can use Diskpart to remove it.

Attaching a copy of your disk management picture showing the drive configuration might help but, open Diskpart and select that volume and then remove the letter. Make sure and select the Volume number associated with the Drive letter you wish to remove.

Open an administrative command prompt and type the following commands and hit enter after each. The commands are shortened by using the first letters such as list is lis.

Diskpart
lis vol
sel vol 5 << use your correct volume number
remove letter=D

Microsoft has recently been having a need to find more space for the Recovery Tools. On two of my systems, it was placed in an 11 GB Recovery Image partition. When it does that, it seems to not be completing the procedure and leaving the drive letter on the partition. The same type of thing was being seen with EFI system partitions being assigned a Z letter.

Reaction score
If the partition is a OEM Recovery partition, it should not have that drive letter. You can use Diskpart to remove it.

Attaching a copy of your disk management picture showing the drive configuration might help but, open Diskpart and select that volume and then remove the letter. Make sure and select the Volume number associated with the Drive letter you wish to remove.

Open an administrative command prompt and type the following commands and hit enter after each. The commands are shortened by using the first letters such as list is lis.

Diskpart
lis vol
sel vol 5 << use your correct volume number
remove letter=D

Microsoft has recently been having a need to find more space for the Recovery Tools. On two of my systems, it was placed in an 11 GB Recovery Image partition. When it does that, it seems to not be completing the procedure and leaving the drive letter on the partition. The same type of thing was being seen with EFI system partitions being assigned a Z letter.

Reaction score
Hello and thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately I am a complete novice and don't quite understand what you mean. Is it possible you could type the actions I should take. By the way , I removed the message and D Drive is showing as empty but somehow is still using nearly all space.

Reaction score
I will give you the link below if that will help. I don't know what you don't know but maybe this will help.

Admin command prompt is opened from the Winkey+X menu. Diskpart is a utility which runs in the command prompt window. I can't show you exact commands because I do not have a letter to remove.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...er-after/115d2860-542e-410f-983c-2aeb8bbd7d13

Diskparttest.jpg

Ask a Question