DaaS is coming.... DaaS is coming!

Do you care?

• Total voters

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Isn't this windows 10 already doing that? If MS continues down this same path, on a more aggressive path as the article you linked to suggests.....then I'll be one of the first to move from PC to Mac and Linux. I'm so sick of the lack of control I have with what I can and can't be allowed to be updated/install and forced to accept all the telemetry services from behind the scenes. Then not be allowed to remove/delete on a permanent basis that junk appware crap I wont ever use.

Reaction score
Equally worrying for the PC industry is if the DAAS turned into something like the Ipad. A sealed unit with no hardware changes possible...the gamers would revolt at that

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm certain that some hard core gamers would freak out, but.....
With online streaming being a very popular current resource along with some of the goofy apps for games
AND
With a lot of serious gamers going the xbox or PS routes, I don't really think that PC gamers would be a big consideration.
I could be wrong as I haven't done any serious gaming since the original FarCry, but I can see that battle being waged on a different device platform other than the PC.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Totally agree.....either shite or get off the pot. Now you can hook up a keyboard/mouse to a console.....that will be the route I'll take, if and when that happens.

I have 2 Xbox 360's, 1 in my sons room and the other in the living room. We use that one in the living room like a streaming device and some gaming. My son games all the time on his. So I could practice with the controller....but damn that sucks. Just not the same as a keyboard/mouse. Hell I can hook it up to my PC and play.....that was nice of MS w/windows 10.

Reaction score
This will be a “desktop-as-a-service” (DaaS) offering. Instead of owning Windows, you’ll “rent” it by the month.

So does that mean that we will have to pay a monthly fee for the Windows OS on our desktops/laptops........ just like we pay a monthly fee for our ISP service? Is that where they're going with this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not clear.....
I don't think it'll be an all or nothing.
More like an either or.
IF
You read the article, then you noticed that they compared it to the way Microsoft, currently markets their Office Desktop Productivity Suite.
You can rent it now, in the form of Office 365
OR
You can still purchase it retail, in a few different flavors.
My guess is that they may do something similar with the OS when the time comes

Reaction score
From the sound of it, it's going to be more geared toward small businesses. At least at first.

Reaction score
All I can say; the day Desktop Service is mandatory, I will no longer have access. As long as there is an option I'm fine with it. Personally they can take their services, and put them where even they are ashamed to look.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
From the sound of it, it's going to be more geared toward small businesses. At least at first.

This is how I understood it too - basically as an option for businesses to simplify their IT structure (i.e. Microsoft manage the OS side of things). I don't want to jump to conclusions, as if it's just that then I'm ok with it. However, it could be the start of a wider shift.

If it does become enforced DaaS, or the standalone versions are degraded in any way, then I think many people will be jumping over to Linux in an instant.

Reaction score
I don'*t see how they can totally cripple Windows 10. I will just stay with it. It interests me not if they stop "support" for it. lol.
Some years ago I was a beta tester of azure. I can hardly remember now how it all worked, except that it involved quite a lot of extra programs on the computer. But it sounds very similar

Last edited:

Ask a Question