Defender - does not run scheduled scans

Reaction score
Have latest windows update 1803 - and defender stopped doing the scheduled
scan - also updates everyday but nothing else runs for days - have to do a
quick scan for things to show up -
Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Desktop or Laptop? The reason I ask is that I don't believe Defender will run on a Laptop if it's not on AC power. Double check your settings in Task Scheduler it will also show when Defender was last run.
Got to ask have you recently installed another 3rd party AV program that's running, is so Defender wil only do periodic scans.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked the Task Scheduler?
In the left pane, expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows , and then scroll down and double-click (or press) the Windows Defender folder.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hi - says scan has not run - last time 11/30/1999 0x41303 - the other 3 say ran with 0x0 - but
validation says 0x103 - perhaps don't even have to run a scheduled scan if one runs occasionally.
Thanks again

Reaction score
I have never attempted to run Defender as a scheduled task. I just let it update everyday and let it run in the background. Maybe MS don't want Defender to be run on a user schedule for obvious reasons.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My point was that, the scheduled scan in Task Scheduler was put there by Microsoft as part of a default install.
I imagine it can be deleted or disabled or edited so as to make it worthless, so.....
My interest was to see if the OP actually had such an entry and if all the parameters and properties seem to be set correctly.

Reaction score
Trouble I fully understood your post and had exactly the same thoughts. That was, does the OP have Defender run on a scheduled task? I have never set it up to run on a schedule but, Task Manager Log shows that it's working.

Task.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Apparently not.
Yours is showing "Last Run Result" of (0x2) which I believe means "access denied"
Not as the other ones are showing "The operation completed successfully. (0x0)"

Mine is doing the same thing, and....
Apparently so is the OP's

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, so...…
I enabled history and fired up the task manually.
It's still showing (0x2) but according to the history info it completed successfully.
So, now I know a little bit more but understand significantly less.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Looking through another glass onion, I interpret "Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" Last Run Result" of (0x2) as the program isn't scheduled through Task Manager.
icon_scratch.png

So now we both know a little bit more but understand significantly less. It's got me wondering now just how well Defender works as AV protection and it's scan frequency. I just invoked a manual scan as you did with same results also received an automatic notification of such. I don't recall seeing recent notifications in weeks.
All this has got me wondering if Defender is actually working at all in auto pilot. If I don't see any more notifications of successful scant I'll be going back to Avira.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing recent notifications in weeks
Me either.
That's why this thread sort of attracted me.

I'm not overly worried, as far a auto scans or quick scans go. My concern would be the real time protection, and.....
I would expect to see some warning, error, notification or something if it wasn't working.

Reaction score
The scary thing about this is that we'll never know if real time protection is actually working or not. I'm not overly concerned either as I run Mambam Pro. But, the lack of notifications concerning, I don't recall seeing an auto scan notification for weeks.

Ask a Question