SOLVED Defender Problems ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Great news phant0m2017.

Now would be the time to update defender definitions and run a Full scan

Reaction score
You have, undoubtedly, still got remnants of an alternative anti-virus program installed. Regedits suggestion will (has - late reply) undoubtedly worked but, with respect, I think may you have returned all security policies in windows 10. to the default.(Anniversary release) I have no idea how this will affect your security. Maybe it doesn't matter - no idea.
But regedit knows more about the registry than I, so I am sure it works for you.

The .reg returns several items to the registry, which have more recently been withdrawn by MS

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
The REG file removes the keys (which may or may not have been affected by a third party security program installation, or by malware. Restarting the computer allows Windows to rebuild the keys to their Default status.

The Default for Windows Defender is no policies set at all. Policies can be set in phant0m's case as they are using Windows 10 Professional, so if they choose they can now go to the Group Policy Editor to set any policies.

The only other settings that will change those keys will be those they choose within the Windows Defender Security Center, or if they intentionally manipulate their Registry, or an infection or third party tool changes it.

The main purpose of this exercise though was to ensure the SYSYTEM again has ownership of the keys.

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. Very informative.

I investigated and found the key was, as MS stated, empty. Ran the reg out of curiosity, without change.

Ask a Question