definition update errors

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Anybody else getting definition update errors. For the past 2 days (that I've noticed, could have been longer). When manually checking for updates, I always get definition updates, at least 1. Yesterday and today when doing the same thing, I get the something went wrong with the update and KB def is listed with error code.

To fix this I have to manually open up Defender and run the updates that way, which it does (thankfully). Then back to the all settings and "update&security" and re run the updates and it clears it.

Anybody else having this issue or know someone that is .... it's a freaking PITA for me.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes I've had the same error for KB2267602 (Definition 1.239.752.0) - Error 0x80070643

While it loops in the Update & security panel, I resolved this by opening a elevated command prompt and doing a direct install via command line like so:

Code:
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe" -RemoveDefinitions -All

Press Enter key to execute command to remove all current definitions from 'Windows Defender, then:

Code:
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe" -SignatureUpdate -http

Press Enter key to execute command to install current Signature updates

Then simply open Update & security and click Retry / update to refresh.

Note: It is optional as to whether you bother to delete all current definitions; you can simply run the second command to install the update that appears throwing the error via Update & security.

Having done this, their does seem to be a bug with Microsoft servers attempting to send the same Definition again along with that generic error code; which in this case is pointing to the fact the KB will not install - why?!; because it all ready is installed.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I just checked my updates and guess what....that same KB definition update is there again with error message.

So I'll follow your advice above and report back what happens.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I just tried it and got this failure....WTF!

C:\Windows\system32>"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe" -RemoveDefinitions -All

Service Version: 4.10.14393.953
Engine Version: 1.1.13601.0
AntiSpyware Signature Version: 1.239.797.0
AntiVirus Signature Version: 1.239.797.0
NRI Engine Version: 2.1.12706.0
NRI Signature Version: 116.88.0.0

Starting engine and signature rollback to none...
Done!

C:\Windows\system32>"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe" -SignatureUpdate -http
Signature update started . . .
ERROR: Signature Update failed with hr=80004005
CmdTool: Failed with hr = 0x80004005. Check C:\Users\Jimbo\AppData\Local\Temp\MpCmdRun.log for more information

C:\Windows\system32>

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes I downloaded that definition as Microsoft suggested but upon running it got a failure notice.

I then renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder and attempting to use a normal Update & security and got the failure.

Then I did as I noted earlier via the elevated command prompt and finally succeeded in installing it; but like you the Update & security still insists on attempting to download & install it again with that error message which in my case can only be referring to the fact there is no need to install an existing definition; but as I said previously that particular error code is somewhat generic and could be pointing to other issues (for example if someone were running a third party security program that was interfering with the installation).

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with this download.
Also when i have a failed Defender update i have always managed to download from the control panel it has never failed.
upload_2017-4-5_0-9-29.png

Ask a Question