Delay in launching apps using shortcut keys

Reaction score
On 12/10/17, I updated to Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299, although it originally said 1709. Before that, I had (& still have) shortcut keys to launch various apps. They used to work almost instantaneously. Now I find a considerable delay (5-6 seconds) before the app will launch. If I reboot or logoff & back on, the shortcut keys launch my apps quickly. However, after awhile, the delay sets in.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the update. Perhaps something running in the background. I've looked in the task manager, but I''m not familiar enough with what should be running to make a determination.

1. Any suggestions?
2. How would I find if something in the background is using a lot of resources?

Thank you in advance,

Reaction score
although it originally said 1709
1709 is the Version number followed by the Build number. 1709 stands for September 2017 release date, same for 1703 for March 2017. Basically it is important to list both the Operating System Version and the Build number as in Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125), press the Windows key plus R then type winver to see it. [Trivia: Version 1709 was actually available first of October 2017 due to weekend at end of September.] The Build number can be equated to the Service Pack of earlier versions of Windows.

I've not been a big fan of custom shortcut keys, mainly in the past because the Operating System had to check to see if they conflicted with the built-in functions. Back in the days of DOS/Disk Operating System when mice weren't as prevalent those shortcuts were good but the GUI/Graphical User Interface of Windows and other OSes made lots of changes in how we use computers.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information regarding versions & builds. I realize that not everyone uses the keyboard as much as I do, but I much prefer it to the mouse. For me, it's much faster.
Do you know of any way that I can tell what process is interfering (if that's actually the cause)?
Thanks again,

Ask a Question