Win10Home: Long delay when logging in

Reaction score
Hi! I have a Win10Home/x64 with all updates running on my Dell XPS 8900. I have one account for each member of my family. A problem two of us are having is that when we log in, we get a 4 to 5 minute black screen before the desktop is drawn. For the other accounts, there is no delay at all when logging in; we give the password and the desktop immediately appears.

During the minutes of black screen, I can <CTRL><ALT><DEL> and set to that screen and its components such as the Task Manager. But why the long delay?

I have tried changing the display from HDMI to our TV over to a VGA (the grahics card has both ports) without any change in this behavior.

I have Norton Security. It is up to date, has done lots of scans and says all is well.

I have run scans of the Dell using Dell's diag software and they say the computer is fine.

I have booted into safe mode and run some diags that come with Windows10 and they say the OS is fine.

What do I try next?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
What do I try next?
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion.

I have done a clean boot as described at the link you included. I hid all Microsoft servces and disabled everything and then did the same on the startup services.

I've restarted the computer and then logged in with one of the two accounts that only display their desktop after 5 minutes. No change. It still takes 5 minutes of black screen before the desktop is drawn.

Meanwhile, as before, the accounts which have never seen a login delay remain healthy: when the password is entered, their desktop is displayed within a couple seconds.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry that, that wasn't helpful.
How do you feel about taking a peek in the Registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Make a note of what appears in the right side "Data" pane and compare it
When logged into the machine as one of the "problem" users
TO
When logged into the machine as one of the "non-problem" users.

See if there is anything remarkably different in the comparison.
I'm not suggesting that you edit anything, just suggesting that you have a look.

Reaction score
This sounds like a good exercise. I'll use this as my scratchpad as I go.

Troubled account #1:
The 'Run' registry key has two entries, a OneDrive and a Skype .
  1. "C:\Users\<account2>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background
  2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /minimized /regrun

Troubled account #2:
The 'Run' registry key has two entries,a OneDrive and an Adobe Acrobat Synchronizer
  1. "C:\Users\<account2>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background
  2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\AdobeCollabSync.exe"

Non-troubled account #1:
The 'Run' registry key has one entry, a OneDrive
  1. "C:\Users\<account3>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background
Non-troubled account #2
The 'Run' registry key has one entry, a OneDrive
  1. "C:\Users\<account4>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background

None of the accounts has anything in their "RunOnce" key.

Reaction score
I resolved the problem by re-installing Win10 from scratch. I went to Dell.com and got the Win10 image that is to be used for this specific box (a Dell XPS 8900) and used this to start from, well, scratch. The 'new' system allows everyone to log in and see their desktop without the prior 5 minute nap. I'm enjoying have to re-add all the software products (Office, etc.) and add back the user accounts. A bit drastic, yes, but this was but one problem the system was having.

Reaction score
Good thing you have resolved yours. I have a somewhat related problem. When I'm turning on the HP laptop with windows 10 installed, the keyboard turns a light which indicated that it's on. I also heard noises like it was on the process. But the monitor signs nothing. No cursor and everything. It was just black.

Maybe it will take me some 50 times on and off (using the power button) before the screen turns on and proceed to start up.

As of the moment, I've reset the laptop thinking it was a virus or so. During on process, the laptop restart several times. During restart, the black screen continues to show. SO back to square one where I need to click on and off several times before I finally finished resetting.

Do you know what might be the problem with my laptop? I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Ask a Question