Strange 30 sec delay

Reaction score
For almost all applications I open there is a ~30 second delay. It has been there since I moved "up" to Win10. It happens with a huge variety of apps like Office, Photoshop, Spotify, Explorer and more. And it only happens with the first running instance. If I start a second instance it starts within one or a few seconds. If I close all instances it is the same again. First instance ~30 secs etc. So something is cached.

Some apps loading files need a full minute to start (like Family Tree Maker). Others start almost instantly. But those apps seems only to access local files and the Internet. In Excel (and other Office apps) the app starts quickly but "hangs" 30 secs in populating the "recent list" - containing networked files.

A consequence of the “delay” is that many installations fail – like Office update. Gets the delay and exits with an error. But then the downloaded file is on the network.

I am convinced this is a LAN/authorization problem and the delay is the 30 sec network time out. But how do I get rid of it? Any hints?

Some background:
I have a Win Server 2008 R2 and a NAS in the LAN. Both are used as file servers. The Win server was earlier a domain server in my local network. But I changed the role to file server already while on Win 7 and did not have any delays. The same goes for my laptop still on Win 7. No delays. So the problem is only on Win 10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It makes sense opening new instances of your applications load faster as they will be loading from Virtual Memory.

I'd take a look at how many applications you have loading on Startup of your computer. Each of them will be using an allotted amount of physical memory, and what is left beyond that may be insufficient for your other more heft applications like Office etcetera to load any more quickly.

You could also check your Security software that you are using is not scanning the executable as it opens; that would significantly impact on initialization time of the applications.

You may also want to run some memory diagnostics to make sure all your RAM is in fact working properly.

If your computer is still using HDD drive(s) then defragging them may improve your delay times for applications to initialize. Running a Checkdsk /r may also help.

I'd also look at running the built-in troubleshoot for your Network, as from your post it appears most of your issues arise when an application is seeking data via the Network.

Given you are using LAN you may see improvements if you enable Portfast or fastlink in stp port settings.

Also check your Group Policies on local machine are not restricting network access until Security Software has fully loaded - that can create enough of a delay to cause timeouts, and for applications like outlook it could result in temporaty pst files being created which will waste more milliseconds given your recent activity will not be loaded.

Reaction score
I have answered inline:

It makes sense opening new instances of your applications load faster as they will be loading from Virtual Memory.

The problem is not in loading the application. Take Excel. Even the first instance starts almost instantly - but hangs in populating the "recent files". So it is file access that "hangs".

I'd take a look at how many applications you have loading on Startup of your computer.

I have 16 GB of physical M.2 memory. And the problem is valid even for the very first application (and I have a lot of free memory).

You could also check your Security software that you are using is not scanning the executable as it opens;

The problem persists even when I stop firewall and virus protection.

You may also want to run some memory diagnostics

All RAM is scanned. No errors.

If your computer is still using HDD drive

C: drive is a 180 GB M.2 SSD drive. All local drives are SSD. Server local drives are SSD.

I'd also look at running the built-in troubleshoot for your Network,

Done that. No errors.

Given you are using LAN you may see improvements if you enable Portfast or fastlink in stp port settings.

Can't see how that could improve the situation. It is only the first intance that hangs. Alla other file accessess are Gigabit fast (Gigabit LAN)

Also check your Group Policies on local machine

I'm shure the problem lies within the policies. But where.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you disabled Cortana on your local machine?

If you have, then that is known to cause the issue you are describing.

Also, in Services is the Windows Search Service is running and set to run automatically. WSearch in the Services list.

Finally, if any of the documents you saved in the applications giving you this issue, have been moved to a new location from their original save point, the old links need to be cleaned out, as that will cause the Recently Used File list to slow dramatically while it attempts to locate the linked file.

Reaction score
Have you disabled Cortana on your local machine?

No. How would that just make the first instance hang in populating "Recent files"?

Also, in Services is the Windows Search Service is running and set to run automatically.

I have to have it running. And it is set to only run while the computer is idle and should not have impacted only the first instance.

Finally, if any of the documents you saved in the applications

It affects ALL applications (with a few exceptions).

I appreciate you try to help. But you suggestions seems not applicable.
(I have been writing code for Windows since forever it seems - like pre 3.1).

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I have 16 GB of physical M.2 memory.
Just to point out....there's no such thing as M.2 memory. M.2 is a SSD, a solid state drive aka HDD - hard drive. You're probably referring to your 16 GB of RAM, aka Memory. BTW...what's the make/model of your RAM? What is it's default and current speed settings?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Some of the Policies that may be of use for you are documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/changes-to-start-policies-in-windows-10

Other than that the only other thing I can think of would be to reset Recently Used Files for each individual application. Perhaps try on one like Microsoft Office first, as a test to see if it improves things. Alternately, in the past you could simply turn that off in Office, then close Office, Re-open it, and turn it back on.

Reaction score
Just to point out....there's no such thing as M.2 memory. M.2 is a SSD, a solid state drive aka HDD - hard drive. You're probably referring to your 16 GB of RAM, aka Memory. BTW...what's the make/model of your RAM? What is it's default and current speed settings?

You are correct. Doing too many things simultaniously. 16 GB RAm and C: drive is M.2.

Reaction score
Is you install of windows 10 an upgrade or a clean install?
Sadly an upgrade. Had too many apps installed. Some old and media difficult to find, key not documented et.c.

But plan too do a clean install when I have a free week. Last time though was several decades ago ;-(

Regedit32

Reaction score
An Upgrade could be the issue, but if that is the case it must not affect everyone, because this computer I am on now is running an Upgrade - always has; and I've never had any trouble as is being described by kjellkri.

I've run out of ideas as to what could be causing this issue though.

It might be worth searching the issue in the Feedback app, to see whether anyone else is reporting it and what if any solutions have been found. Or atleast, use Feedback to report the issue.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Me to Reg....I've done a quite few upgrades over the years and not 1 give me an issue. But there are 100's of thousands of people out there that have gone with the upgrade path and have had nothing but problems. It's impossible to pin point whether it's user error, hardware/driver issues or software issues with out having said problematic PC in front of me (us).

Ask a Question