SOLVED Delete unused Windows folder

Reaction score
This might sound a little weird, but since a while i build my own computer, and i put some of my old hard drives in here, one of these drives contains a copy of Windows that i no longer use, But i cant remove it, and it is taking up quite a bit of space, i'm not talking about a Windows.old folder, but an actual Windows folder, now i was wondering if there is a way to remove this unused copy of Windows, i tried changing the owner to myself, and removing the read only tag, without much luck

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 548

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The image you attached indicates that at some point that drive contained a 64bit version of Windows.
Are you absolutely certain it is not your current Operating System installation location?
IS there anything of consequence on that drive which you absolutely have to keep?
IF not then, personally I would use DiskPart to "Clean" it and then initialize it in Disk Management, Format it (NTFS) make sure it gets a drive letter and use it for storage.
Make sure you backup any critical data and additionally create a disk image of all drives and all partitions onto external media before going forward.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
The image you attached indicates that at some point that drive contained a 64bit version of Windows.
Are you absolutely certain it is not your current Operating System installation location?
IS there anything of consequence on that drive which you absolutely have to keep?
IF not then, personally I would use DiskPart to "Clean" it and then initialize it in Disk Management, Format it (NTFS) make sure it gets a drive letter and use it for storage.
Make sure you backup any critical data and additionally create a disk image of all drives and all partitions onto external media before going forward.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

The problem with that is that i have quite a bit of important data on this disk, and quite a lot of programs (mostly games, located in the SteamLibrary Folder) as well.
It isnt my current version of Windows, i'm currently running Windows on a seperate SSD, i took this drive out of my old PC without wiping it first, i guess that was a mistake

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try using this on the root of the drive right click it and from the context menu choose takeownership.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
It'll take a while so give it time to finish.
Then you will likely have to right click (properties, security tab) the Windows folder you want to get rid of and grant your user account explicit full control to that folder, after disabling inheritance, preserving the current permissions, and then cascade that down by including all child objects (sub-folders and files).

Reaction score
Try using this on the root of the drive right click it and from the context menu choose takeownership.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
It'll take a while so give it time to finish.
Then you will likely have to right click (properties, security tab) the Windows folder you want to get rid of and grant your user account explicit full control to that folder, after disabling inheritance, preserving the current permissions, and then cascade that down by including all child objects (sub-folders and files).

That did the trick, the folder is gone, thanks for your help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question