Desktop flashes never loads

Reaction score
Running build 10041. After updating the computer restarted, I put in my login, then the desktop keeps flashing from purple blank to desktop. Endless loop. I have a Dell running Intel Core i3.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds a bit like a graphics driver problem.
After updating the computer
From what? Build 9926 or another build or another OS?
I have a Dell running Intel Core i3.
Can you share a bit more information regarding your system specs, just on the off chance that someone else may have had a similar experience on the same hardware? At this point we don't know if it's a desktop, laptop, 2 in 1, AIO, tablet, etc.

Do you see the "Roll Back" option in the boot menu when you start the computer?
That may be the only viable option at this point if you cannot manage to actually use the UI.

Reaction score
My roommate's Acer Aspire 5253-BZ602 laptop computer is having this same problem. Windows 10 public release version finally began installing itself today, and when the desktop comes up it stays up for about 10 seconds and then starts to flash. Nothing responds to any keyboard or mousepad input. Desktop stays up for about 2 seconds, flashes to black, back to desktop, back to black. Sometimes it stays up long enough for the desktop icons to load, usually it doesn't.

I hope there is some other way to either fix this or recover back to Windows 7 without having to re-install. Is there a way to get to the Acer's internal recovery drive? Does Windows 10 have a Safe Mode startup option, from which I can try to recover his computer?

Anyone have any thoughts or seen the same behavior?

-Doug

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does Windows 10 have a Safe Mode startup option
If you can hold the shift button and restart you should be able to get to safe mode, use the power option at the signin screen if you can.

Reaction score
OK -- it did finally respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del and I was able to get into Safe Mode. Did a PC Reset, and that actually reloaded Windows 10 without the desktop flashing issue. It also, once it loaded, came up with a message from the graphics driver that some applications weren't set up for its specific settings -- it was the Catalyst graphic control program saying this. Able to ignore it and the UI loads and is stable.

The one downside is that this loses the ability to go back t Windows 7 -- it forgot that it had been recently upgraded to 10 and lost the "go back" option. But it seems like the upgrade will work, now.

-Doug

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Doug.
I was able to get into Safe Mode
If you computer behaves "normally" in safe mode, that is a good indication that there is either a startup program, process or driver that is causing your problem.
You may have had some luck using device manager in safe mode to remove the GPU and associated drivers and rebooting, might have saved you a painful "Reset".
There seems to be a rash of GPU drivers with some advanced setting, like settings associated with 3D Vision (in the case of nVidia), perhaps AMD has something similar and.....
They seem to be particularly devastating to laptops.

Ask a Question