Desktop Resetting On Network Restart

Reaction score
Hey folks, I can customize my desktop with regards to icons but when I restart while connected to my work network the desktop reverts to a default desktop they have created.... if I restart not connected to the network it remains the way I want it.... any ideas on what reg entry is controlling this.... or might this be some start up script that runs from the network .... thoughts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my work network the desktop reverts to a default desktop they have created
Chances are if your computer is domain joined they are using a Group Policy Object for Domain Computers to control and make uniform the user interface.

Reaction score
Many companies do this to impose corporate branding on the machines as well as hidden stuff like locking down software installs or dumps to thumb drives.
They do own the machines after all.

Is that at work on your desk or when logging in remotely via a VPN ?

Reaction score
no this is just at work... I have nearly full control of the machine... install of programs etc... change the desk top etc.... I can delete icons, add icons and so forth.. the issue is that there are icon links on the desk top that I do not use or need and when I reboot the machine while connected to the network the default desk top comes back (any icon links I add to desk top due stay) I would like to prevent the default ones that I do not need from returning each time I reboot while at work... This is in a school setting...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you use the same profile (username and password) in both environments (home and work)?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm at a loss to explain what might be going on. Typically......
The same username and password, means the same user profile would be used, which of course includes your "desktop" settings.
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps someone has configured a login script that is running at startup that samples a condition (maybe the network addressing schema) and based on that script it calls the default user profile or another profile to be used under certain conditions.
I know back in the day we used to set "mandatory" (roaming user profiles) but they were based on Group Policy in an Active Directory Domain, which is not to say that Group Policy isn't involved, I'm just not sure what configuration might be used.
I haven't played with roaming user profiles or GPOs since back in Server 2k3 days. I'm sure features and functionality is much more robust now. Heck there might even be one based on "location".

Ask a Question