Desktop shortcut - Windows 10.

Reaction score
I'm supposed to right-click on the desktop, choose shortcut and "Browse" to choose the folder or app...
In which case the "Browse" should present all contents of my-computer. Instead, the Browse option presents the contents of the desktop only.
Q: Is there a fix in the registry or elsewhere to restore the list to include all the contents of my computer?
Thanks, guys, for your kind attention.
shortcut.JPG

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi David,

Are you really wanting to do this three step process for creating a shortcut on Desktop?

If you open File Explorer, you can simply right-click on the file or folder you want a Desktop shortcut for and select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

Or if you want to save a few microseconds then open File Explorer | locate the file or folder you want a Desktop shortcut for, then Right-click, hold and drag to Desktop then release right mouse button.

If you're still keen on an answer to your actual question, I'll take a look later and see whether its possible to modify the Registry for this particular System task. However, as already noted this seems a rather unnecessary exercise.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you Regedit32.
It is not critical to tweak the registry but I'd prefer to do it. It usually is the best solution.
I am aware of the other options but sometimes it is tedious to close or reduce windows/apps and start browsing disks and volumes to do a simple task. If you have the solution I'd be very grateful.

Ask a Question