SOLVED Internet shortcuts on Desktop not working

Reaction score
I have a problem with Internet short-cuts on my Desktop. This has only occurred since the April 2018 update. Internet short-cuts which previously worked ok now appear to open a text file. Which looks like this:

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,2
[InternetShortcut]
IDList=
URL=http://www.facebook.com/

I have set my default app for .url to Internet Browser but that doesn't solve the problem. Also it doesn't happen if I login as another user.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That may be an issue with some corruption regarding .website (new type of "pinned" internet shortcut for windows 10)
Have you tried just rebuilding the shortcut by manually going to the website and then dragging the icon in the URL address bar onto your desktop??

Click the start button, click the settings cog, click the Apps icon, left column click Default apps, scroll down a bit and select "Choose default apps by file type"
Scroll way down (left column is in alphabetical order to .website
Just to see if it is currently associated with your default browser.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
hmmmmm.

Capture.PNG

Sorry that didn't help.

Reaction score
I know what you are saying but .website is not listed in my settings. See attachment. This is kind of interesting!
However I have solved the problem, sort of by accident. I made sure that in "Choose Applications by File Type" my application choice for .url was Internet Browser. However it would seem that this was not registering, even after a reboot. I right clicked on one of my Internet shortcuts on the Desktop to find "Properties" and also noticed that "Open with" was listed. I selected that only to find that the default was Notepad. I then changed this to Internet Browser as the default and shortcuts now work correctly. Clearly changes made in "Choose Applications by File Type" are not registering or didn't in this case. I'm sure that this is a bug in the April 2018 update.

Attachments

• file type.jpg
    file type.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 585

Ask a Question