Internet connection speed

Reaction score
I have spent many hours in the past few weeks trying to track down a problem with internet connection speed. I use Google Fiber for an ISP and my computer has a Gigabyte LAN built into the motherboard. Therefore, my connection speeds should be near 1 Gbps. Those are the speeds I was getting up until a couple of months ago, when I noticed that sometimes a video would lock up for a few seconds. Checking the download/upload speeds using a couple of different apps, showed that my speeds were less than half of what they should be.

I opened Network and Internet settings and selected "Reset Network Connection" and re-booted the computer and the connection speeds jumped back up to near 1 Gig as they should be. This happens EVERY time I shut my computer down and once in a while the speed drops after the computer has been on for several hours. 12 or more, at least. That could possibly be another issue, because, it has only happened a couple of times.

I have checked the internet setting both before and after resetting and have not been able to find anything that changes other than the speed goes back up to normal after a reset and reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Try downloading the ethernet driver from your motherboard or computer manufactures site. I've had Windows Update replace my driver before with one that's incompatible.

Reaction score
Try downloading the ethernet driver from your motherboard or computer manufactures site. I've had Windows Update replace my driver before with one that's incompatible.
I did that several weeks ago. No difference. Windows even says it will erase the current driver and re-install it. And, that is what happens. Windows re-installs the latest driver, which is the same driver as before the re-set.

Reaction score
I ran wushowhide.diagcab to block it from "updating" my driver. If Windows is updating your driver after you install it, it has to be a different driver version.

Reaction score
The following is the dialog from Windows 10 . Nowhere does it say it will change the driver and the driver does not change from before the reset. The driver version and date remains the same.

"Network reset

This will remove then reinstall all your network adapters, and set other networking components back to their original settings. You might need to reinstall other network software afterwards, such as VPN client software or virtual switches.

Your PC will be restarted."

Ask a Question