Device encrytion question

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
Having issues with my Dell Inspiron 7586 Laptop checked to see if there were any up dates with there is to my BIOS. I was hoping it would correct my battery meter no working right.
Went to down load up date and Win 10 Home Edition says my device encryption is on. I know its not supposed to be but my Anti virus fire wall threw AVG is set for aggressive could explain why it is turn on.
It says in update in settings to turn it off, can I do that ? Then after up date go back into update settings and turn it back on with out needing a Bit locker key? Or do I need to say key on a external drive and paste into when I turn Bit Blocker back on?

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I too think there is other issues that could go right back to AVG antivirus. Their support is limited with the virus going on so this may have to wait for a while. In the mean time only thing that is not right up date on Dell Bios can't load. I am up to date according to WIn10 , protect is on according to AVG so my instincts to not turn off encryption was right. Later I will try removing AVG use defender so if that corrects issue. thank you for your response be safe and have a good day.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
my Dell BIOS up date found when searching for up dates threw Dell. There where two of which one went threw but the other was stopped then I was told encryption is on I was told threw Win 10 update. I did not know what encryption was until then , in the Win10 update it gave me a option to turn encryption off. I just wanted to know if I did turn it off what could happen , how or what I needed to do after trying to turn it on. Finally I am a Home Edition Win user that having encryption on was not possible. Did the aggressive fire wall setting on my AVG Anti virus cause the encryption to be turned on? I tried with another issue to contact AVG support they sent back a auto response because of the virus they only had minimal support personal to check back later.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
my next thought was this encryption being turned off the results of AVG anti virus or a Win 10 up date , if Win 10 up date in order to down load software , systems up dates a way to turn the encryption off and turn on easily to down load the up dates , restart your system to turn encryption back on.

Reaction score

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
Avg ultimate anti virus does encrypt personal files Dell up date allows this to be suspended to do the up date. I found this out by going the up date. Would have been nice to have support from AVG would not have had to bother every one else during this pandemic. All is good thanks for everyone's help.

Reaction score
@Michael Bell suggest you read the Manual - since Dell has its own form of Encryption.
For all my Dell Clients, the first thing I do is
1. open the BIOS and check then set all things
2. Next i delete all the DELL OS and use a USB and do a 100% Clean Install, this allows the OS to function (IMO) the way MS wanted, Not the WAY DELL wants.
3. The best way to update a Dell BIOS is do Download the BIOS to a USB and then UPDATE - DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE WITH DELL METHOD.

Ask a Question