Did a pc reset and now most of my apps won't open

Reaction score
Hello, I'm using a HP 24-g020 touch All-In-One PC running Windows 10 Home.

A few months back I noticed that the touch screen stopped working (may have been due to a windows update). I didn't care much at the time but a couple days ago I wanted to fix the problem. All drivers and anything pertaining to the touch screen seems to have been removed and the Windows about page even claims that this monitor doesn't support touch.

I did a reset on the PC in hopes of fixing it and now not only is the touch screen still not working but I have a ton of programs that no longer respond. The HP support assistant, Alarms and Clock, Camera, Pictures, Groove, Task bar search bar, Calculator, Windows Store and a bunch more I'm sure.

I deleted McAfee and switched to Windows Defender in hopes that the McAfee antivirus was causing it but that didn't fix it.

The warranty expired just last month and now I have a giant mess on my hands. Does anyone have any idea what can be causing these problems? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I did a reset on the PC
Did you use the HP Recovery Manager software to perform the (factory) reset or just the Windows 10 Operating System reset.
At this point you might be best served by a full factory reset back to the OOBE.
Backup all your critical data first of course.

IF for some reason the HP Recovery Manager no longer works you might be able to acquire factory media to accomplish the same thing.
http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?g...C23399&session=0d0ed05b-f908-4d8e-9471-357468

Normally, I would suggest you perform an in-place upgrade repair. That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media. Just be sure to check the little box to get updates as part of the upgrade process.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still create a disk image before going forward.

Installation media can be obtained here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you already have the ISO you can simply mount it from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Reaction score
The rest was done through the HP support assistant. I read somewhere that a rest would fix the touchscreen. Doing it only gave me a dozen more problems.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the media creation tool. I tried the upgrade this pc now option but it said it encountered a problem and couldn't upgrade. I'm now in the process of downloading the Windows Installation Media to a usb flash drive. I'm using Windows version 1703. It was wrong earlier the PC was reset through the windows operating system.

Ask a Question