Differential recognition of HDDs

Reaction score
One of my two Win10 v1909 PCs no longer sees some HDDs (not in Disk Management; not in This PC), but another sees them immediately. Why would that be ? Is there a remedy ?

Reaction score
No, they are connected by SATA leads - which are functional, because an SSD attached to them is seen immediately. NOT external drives so 'safe removal' is not an issue.

Reaction score
Is your main OS (Win 10) drive attached to SATA 0?, if the other HDD drives are attached by SATA cable, they should be in SATA 1 & 2. :)

Reaction score
Yes the O/S is connected to SATA0. There are 9 other SATA sockets 7 of them connected permanently; but only three powered continuously [including the O/S] the other 4 have their power swiched on when needed; two get connected as needed to permanent power. It is on these latter two SATA and Power connectors that the three drives stay invisible individually - even though they show immediately on such spare leads in a second PC.

Reaction score
What is the make of the motherboard, there might be some info in the mobo handbook would could look at?. ;)

Are there power switches to control whether or not a SATA drive is on or off on the mobo?. :)

Reaction score
Yes I have power switches for SATA drives, but that is NOT relevant to my post. Those 3 HDDs are NOT seen on connections on which an SSD is, yet they are seen from SATA connectors without fuss on a different Win10 PC - The SATA-power-switch is NOT used to connect these HDDs.

The 'troublesome' mobo (which USED TO SEE ALL 3 HDDS, but no longer does) is GA-X58A-UD5. I do not know what to look for.

Reaction score
I had already downloaded mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud5_v2.0_e which differs from your reference by 'v2.0'
I vaguely understand that RAID allows saving of data to more than 1 HDD. It has been of no interest to me, and I have all the SATA sockets set to AHCI - and they all hot-plug/hot-swap.
I cant see the relevance of what I know about RAID to the phenomenon I need help with.

Reaction score
You mentioned it yourself, AHCI v Raid setting in BIOS/UEFI, I wasn't sure what setting you are/were using!.

The only thing I can think of is to unplug all the drives then plug them in one by one after restarting the PC each time, see how each drive is received by the computer!. I don't really have any more ideas sorry!. :(

Reaction score
Just posted this on another thread - Maybe relevant?

It is possible that indexing is turned off, from an earlier update. Try this:
Open File Explorer and Right-click on the drive, and select properties
Open the General tab
Make sure the checkmark from "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"., is on
Confirm the Attribute changes by selecting "apply changes to drive, subfolders and files, and click ok.

Reaction score
I've discovered that those three HDDs are seen by 64bit Windows in this same PC and by Windows8.1 in another PC. So 64bitWin10 and Win8.1 sees them and after those tests, now 32bitWin10 sees them again !

Ask a Question