External HDD recognition problem

Reaction score
hardware spec: ryzen 2700X, ASUS PRIME B450_PLUS, Radeon RX570, 32GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD

symptoms:

1. plugs my external HDD (USB3.0) while OS is running

* file explorer recognizes drive, but when clicked, It takes an hour to load file list >> clicks any file, dir >> another hours >>...
* devmgmt, diskmgmt, diskpart >> not responding

2. boot with HDD plugged

* even not showing login window.
* unplug HDD >> shows login window, boot no problem.

cf. my external HDD has no problem such as bad sectors... when I plug my device to another PC, it works well.

I tried clean install, both version of Home/Pro(expected nothing), both old version and latest version of windows, M/B drivers installation, re-install USB 3.0 driver, power management setting... but same result.

this is weird. anybody help?

ps. sorry for bad english

Reaction score
You don't say what model of external drive it is, but does the drive have any updates, either software or firmware?

Does that drive have OEM software that controls it?

I have seen other folks having problems with such things as a WD Elements external drive but when I tried mine, it worked fine. I don't normally use the software supplied with such a drive.

Reaction score
I don't see mentioned that only USB 3 port/s are being used for the USB 3 drive. Usually but not always USB 3 devices can be used on USB 2 ports but at a much slower data transfer speed and that includes the reading/indexing of the the drive. Both USB 2 and USB 3 External drives that use the 3.5" drive come with their own power supply except the smaller ones like the WD Passport which use the 2.5" Notebook type drive in them.

Reaction score
hardware spec: ryzen 2700X, ASUS PRIME B450_PLUS, Radeon RX570, 32GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD

symptoms:

1. plugs my external HDD (USB3.0) while OS is running

* file explorer recognizes drive, but when clicked, It takes an hour to load file list >> clicks any file, dir >> another hours >>...
* devmgmt, diskmgmt, diskpart >> not responding

2. boot with HDD plugged

* even not showing login window.
* unplug HDD >> shows login window, boot no problem.

cf. my external HDD has no problem such as bad sectors... when I plug my device to another PC, it works well.

I tried clean install, both version of Home/Pro(expected nothing), both old version and latest version of windows, M/B drivers installation, re-install USB 3.0 driver, power management setting... but same result.

this is weird. anybody help?

ps. sorry for bad english
No help here, only to say I have the same problem.

Ask a Question