Digital camcorder usb connection not recognized, but iphone is

Reaction score
Running W10 V1703 on Lenovo E430.

Under W7 I could load videos from my Panasonic PV-GS500 via a USB cable. Under W10 the camera is not recognized on any of the three USB ports. I have disabled/enabled the devices, updated drivers, uninstalled/installed the devices. And tried different USB cables. Still nothing. No error messages, just nothing.

I can use all of those three USB ports, via a different cable, to upload videos from my iPhone 5s without problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Reaction score
No drivers for Windows 7,8 and higher from the Panasonic website and only software available is the one that came with the camcorder.

Geezer, do you have by chance devices in your device manager that may not have finished installing? might need to show the hidden devices like in the picture below:

2017-09-22_192617.jpg

you might be surprised what is all in there.....
BTW: the marked devices are only for demonstration, I actually use those but do not connect them at all times (on a as-needed-basis)
You may have some devices listed with a question mark in front of it....

Reaction score
Tim and Grizzly

Thanks for your replies.

I've checked for hidden devices, but there are none that indicate my digital video camera.

And it does seem as if my camcorder is not supported under W10. I may be totally out of luck in my attempt to xfer my DV tapes to my laptop using this camcorder.

Maybe I should search out an old W7 system to use.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

Bif

Reaction score
I understand it's more convenient to simply plug the camcorder into the USB, but my solution (since it's slim to none you'll find a driver and slim left the building).. simply take out the memory card, sd or otherwise and extract the video this way...
That is if the camcorder isn't using an internal HD at which point disregard my prior advise.

Reaction score
Geezer, I have some older Software that I occasionally need as well. For that purpose I have installed a DUAL Boot system on my Laptops , Windows 7 and Windows 10.
The problem is, afaik one cannot install an older system beside a newer system, at least I have not found a solution for that yet.
Easiest way would be to create a second HDD (I just ordered new HDD's) with Windows 7 and put that in the laptop when you need to work on those transfers.
All my laptops have a second HDD (I replaced the never used ODD with a HDD caddy) which houses all my files w/o the OS of course.
This might give you some ideas to solve your problem....

Reaction score
Thanks Grizzly

You say "Never too old to learn but it is getting harder and harder". Ain't that the truth!

And it seems there's getting to be so much more to learn nowadays. Kinda like trying to pee against the wind.

I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble and expense of adding hw to my laptop, but it's something to think about.

Thanks,

Tom

Ask a Question