Adobe Digital Editions stopped working

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you getting any error messages regarding licenses or registration??

I haven't used it for years since switching from Nook to Kindle but.....
I just installed it on my Windows 10 machine (latest build / version)
Registered this machine with my Adobe account.
Downloaded an epub book from my library and
I can read it without any problem.

Capture.PNG

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of Adobe Digital Edition 4.5.7.181275

DAS

Reaction score
Are you getting any error messages regarding licenses or registration??

I haven't used it for years since switching from Nook to Kindle but.....
I just installed it on my Windows 10 machine (latest build / version)
Registered this machine with my Adobe account.
Downloaded an epub book from my library and
I can read it without any problem.

View attachment 8017

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of Adobe Digital Edition 4.5.7.181275
My ADE used to look like the screen shot you have posted. I get the ribbon - but rest of page is blank and does not show my bookshelf or any new downloads. Help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What happens if you go to "My Digital Editions" and right click one of your .epub files and choose "Open with" and then select ADE from the list??
Do you get an error?
Can you open the "Welcome.epub" file in either ADE or Microsoft Edge?

DAS

Reaction score
the ADE window opens with the ribbon but a blank screen. My bookshelf with 50 plus books is a blank. New books I tried to download from my Library will not open. When I try to 'open' ADE it sometimes crashes.

DAS

Reaction score
the ADE window opens with the ribbon but a blank screen. My bookshelf with 50 plus books is a blank. New books I tried to download from my Library will not open. When I try to 'open' ADE it sometimes crashes.

Below is screenshot of ADE when I open.
Screenshot (3).png

Reaction score
Help!! Same issues with mine. Updated to Windows 10. Since then, Adobe Digital doesn't respond. I've restarted the laptop, uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe, cleared the browsing history, deleted all the books from Adobe but they keep re-appearing. Tried to load up the .acsm version from my download files to Kobo and I can't read them and even the book I finished reading earlier this week can't be opened. When I try to delete books from Kobo (Aura H2O Edition 2), the kobo seems to turn off and then on again. Can't do anything! I'm ready to return the Kobo!! Anyone out there who knows how to fix this? I tried using a different port on the laptop, doesn't work. Kobo is less than 3 months old.

Reaction score
This is going to sound weird, but it worked for me... Go to the folder where you installed ADE. Select the folder, ctrl-c and ctrl-v to copy and paste a copy of it. Launch ADE from the copied directory. For me, this usually works for a couple of months and then I have to repeat the process.

Reaction score
Dear iisaphd, I copied and pasted the folder where EDE was installed, and guess what: it worked again! Very weird, but thanks a lot for your help! :)

Reaction score
It's totally INSANE: that worked for me too. Maybe it looks even more insane to someone like me who is not using windows at all for the last 10 years...
Unfortunately ADE is the only program I need that does not run on linux, so I keep a virtual machine just for that.

Reaction score
Dear iisaphd, I copied and pasted the folder where EDE was installed, and guess what: it worked again! Very weird, but thanks a lot for your help! :)
Hei, thanks a LOT for this trick: I tried everything: uninstall reinstall, but this one would have never occurred to me!

Ask a Question