Problem with Adobe Digital Editions since upgrade to Windows 10

dkb

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Now I am no longer able to download books I borrow from local library website. My Kobo displayed this error message "This document is protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again." I did and still cannot transfer from my computer to Kobo. Do I need to uninstall Digital Editions and set up a new account then set up on my library website again?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you "Authorized" your computer?
Open Adobe Digital Editions and select Help from the menu bar. Is "Authorize Computer" available?
Also check your Authorization Information and make sure you're using the same account on both devices Computer and Reader

Reaction score
I also have problems since I changed to Windows 10. I bought a book from Sainsburys which appeared in ADE (v.3) but I was not allowed to take it any further without entering I.D. into authorisation .....which it would not accept,
but asked if I wanted to authorise without I.D.
I authorised without ID ...No good
Now I want to cancel the authorisation so I can enter it again in the hope that all will be well, as I have done in the past, but how do you do that. I cannot see any way to do so.
Roy Sudlow

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I had my pc and my kobo authorised. When the problems started, I desauthorised the kobo to authorise it again later, but when I tried to authorise it again, there was no way.
I have tried everything already, including uninstalling and installing ADE again, and trying to unauthorise pc to start everything from 0, but now it doesn't even let me do that, it just doesn't accept the correct password...
It seems there is something hooked up in some place, but I must admit I don't know where else to try find some answers, I spent so many hours already trying...
So if someone has an idea o knows a contact I could write to, I would really appreciate it a lot.!

sorry, I forgot to say that whe I try to re-authorise my kobo (sometime the system let me do it, sometimes not), it says Adode detected an arror in the activation server.

Reaction score
Good morning, thank you very much for your reply. I have changed the password, but it still doesn't accept it to uninstall.

Reaction score
I am not able to authorize my computer. The choice is there but dulled. I have reinstalled ADE (4.5). I am also unable to authorize my device. Is this a Windows issue or an ADE issue?

Reaction score
I am now unable to use ADE at all. It loads but goes into an endless loop and does nothing if I try to do anything with it. I have to start over again and re-re-install. I'm using ADE 4.5 by the way. I'm going to talk to the Kobo rep the next time she's in the store where I work and see if she knows anything about this problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
goes into an endless loop and does nothing
Sorry, that is what I was trying to determine, by asking about an error. The details as to the actual behavior will be important, no matter who you talk to or ask about the problem.
There is an important registry key that impacts activation for Adobe Digital Editions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adept
A normal uninstall may not impact that particular registry key. Recently when I had a problem with Activation it would loop through an required upgrade which never succeeded. I had to physically go to that registry key and delete it. After which Activating with my Adobe ID and the subsequent upgrade went without a problem.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1706792

Capture.PNG

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Ask a Question