Disable your antivirus ???

Reaction score
I used Windows Defender for my Windows 10 Pro installation and was happy until I had a problem with Outlook 2016. So, I called Microsoft, and a tech removed a virus using Trend Micro Antivirus +. The tech then recommended I remove Windows Defender and buy and install the Trend Micro product, which I did. So apparently, even Microsoft isn't recommending Windows Defender. I made the change almost a year ago and haven't had any virus problems since that time. Go figure.
That wasn't Microsoft. MS doesn't remove viruses via tech support, they will just give you tools to do the job. You were on one of the many sites out there claiming to be MS and charging a fee to fix something that MS normally does for free. The sure fire way to tell is MS uses logmein and the others all seem to use teamviewer to access you computer. Trend is a good program though. Also MS would never in a million years suggest uninstalling WD, I don't even know if you can uninstall it. I know when I install avast, WD is automatically switched off.

Reaction score
what most AV suites call "HIPS" is not the same animal at all as COMODO HIPS. Many of COMODO's most devoted users turn off the HIPS, and only use the autosandbox, because COMODO HIPS can be a royal pain.
The autosandbox -- in proactive config -- is very effective.
HIPS is HIPS. regardless of who implements it. Different programs implement different UIs and different algorithms, but it's still a Host Intrusion Protection System, of which, again, sandbox is a part of. HIPS is always a pain, regardless if it's Comodo or Sophos UTM, and if a user doesn't want to take the time to configure it properly, then the user shouldn't be coming to a forum looking for help due to their own laziness... it really is that simple.

Either a user needs to have personal responsibility for their own IP and data security, or they should expect to not be helped (and/or be exploited due to their own ignorance), as I don't know anyone who finds it acceptable to help someone who refuses to help themselves. If you don't mind your time being wasted by someone who refuses to help themselves, all the more power to you, but you're in the minority.

Reaction score
HIPS is HIPS. regardless of who implements it. Different programs implement different UIs and different algorithms, but it's still a Host Intrusion Protection System, of which, again, sandbox is a part of. HIPS is always a pain, regardless if it's Comodo or Sophos UTM, and if a user doesn't want to take the time to configure it properly, then the user shouldn't be coming to a forum looking for help due to their own laziness... it really is that simple.

Either a user needs to have personal responsibility for their own IP and data security, or they should expect to not be helped (and/or be exploited due to their own ignorance), as I don't know anyone who finds it acceptable to help someone who refuses to help themselves. If you don't mind your time being wasted by someone who refuses to help themselves, all the more power to you, but you're in the minority.
I just hope the doctor doesn't treat people so harshly and impatiently, if they happen not to have followed every rule of health...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Helping people is pretty much, why this forum exists.
Coming here and asking a question is the first step in helping yourself.
You realize that you have come by a computer or piece of software that you are not fully conversant in, so....
You ask someone for help.
I would assume, someone taking a class of instruction on a topic, who arrived at a point where they didn't understand something, might raise their hand and ask a question.

Reaction score
@shmu26 @Trouble Both of you took my post out of context, as it was in reference to @shmu26 stating

"Many of Comodo's most devoted users turn off the HIPS, and only use the autosandbox, because Comodo HIPS can be a royal pain."

In other words, if one drives a car and does not put on one's seat belt, then gets into an accident and is catapulted through the windshield, one has no one to blame but themselves for being catapulted through the windshield.

Ask a Question